No announcement yet.

Coming out of hibernation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaight-- Being isolated is usually not good for my mood but more than that, it is not good for my social relations. I still do not have a very good support network in this new city and by doing bookwork all the time, I seem to have a great excuse to not do the extra work of making friends. But on the other hand, last term I was around people all the time and my mood was far worse then than it is right now so it is really hard to know. I often like being alone but sometimes I feel like I've been so socially distant from people for such long periods of time that I need to learn how to feel comfortable in people's presence again. You need the right balance, like anything. I do often wonder if I would be a happier person if I spent more time with people or with friends, but I get so anxious about it or indifferent about it that it is hard to overcome these feelings.

Rebecca-- If you think you would benefit from a therapist, then maybe it is worth a try to work out one day a week or one day every two weeks when your husband can make sure to be home early. I know it is annoying to have to work these things out but if it makes a difference for your well being, wouldn't it be worth it for you and your husband?

astronaut

Comment

I don't think I'll suffer any long term damage from going without a therapist for 3 months...lol.

I felt it helpful with my first therapist, but not so much so with the one I just finished with, so I think I'm good with a break for a while until I have to start the whole process of getting to know a new person over again.
      Rebecca

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, it might be good to have a break from having to re-tell your history all over again for someone new. I find that can be very stressful and exhausting.

astronaut

Comment

Hi,
          I'm new here, but think I'm in the right place I've been dealing with depression for the last 30 years with the worst months beginning around the middle of November (one psychiatrist kept close tabs and it was within days each year) and the middle of March. On either side of that I'm slowed down a lot. Five months is too much.This has been my best year in ages because my doctor wouldn't let me go back to work last year so I didn't get exhausted. Now I'm planning on going back to work full time in September (I teach high school socials) and I'm quite anxious about it.
          Hi to everyone,
          Grace

Comment

hi Grace, welcome to the forum!
            I hope back to work goes well for you... I have a friend who has bipolar that just went back to work in the teaching environment, and she had a wonderful year. just sayin!
            Anne.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Grace. 5 months of depression is too much. 5 days is too much. Are you sure you should go back full time? Is there anyway you can ease back in with part time first. Can the teacher covering for you work a few days?
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Grace and welcome. In regards to battling depression for 30 yrs. I'm presuming that your docs have given you a lot of advice and that it probably hasn't worked very well, because nobody likes being ill. However please don't hesitate to ask questions here, answer people's questions or use the forum to vent out some frustrations.

There are many different ways to combat depression and while we here cannot tell you what will work fo you, we can tell you what worked or didn't work for us. Take Care. paul m
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome Grace! Glad you found us!

Kaight

Comment

Hi Grace, I totally get what you are saying, I too work in a highschool setting (all special needs) . I took some time off, but felt better at work where I was busy and kept my mind off of things...Its now at 5 am that Im in a panic mode... I hope you have great support from your friends at work. Remember you may not be everything to everybody, but you are everything to somebody. Keep your chin up (harder to do than say, I know) I am also new to the site, so I am sure we will figure it out over time.
                    Take care of you.
                    Mac
                    A Mac

Comment

Working...
                    X