Winters in the snow belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winters in the snow belt

So I'm plunked back home and there is yet another dump of snow today, albeit one that will no doubt melt soon. BUT now the daylight hours are as long or longer than those in the southern U.S. where there were mountains to block the sunrise and sunset.

I seriously, and I mean seriously, think that anybody who survives a snowy, icy, cold and dark Canadian winter, especially like this last relentless one has been, deserves a medal. And deserves one *every* *single* *year*.

There are so many places that are "easier"and less stressful to function in on a daily basis, that we don't realize just how strong and tenacious Canadians really are. I know I've always heard that, and said it myself, but somehow felt it was an exaggeration to help keep our spirits up and brag to others. It's not! It's freaking true!!

CONGRATULATIONS to each of you on making it through each and every day!!!!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Don't forget to add congrats to yourself Uni. You've been through a lot of very miserable winters, physically and mentally and you have survived too. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you Paul, now that I think of it I guess that's true, so will include myself

Yesterday an acquaintance of mine who is prone to depression told me that he goes for coffee with friends almost every day. He said that lately the negative conversation about the drab cold weather has been bringing his mood down. People are more than fed up with the lack of "spring". Even when he changes the subject it winds its way back. So he might lay off "coffee row" for a few of days, even though it's normally something he looks forward to. In this case, one positive person in a group of negative people isn't enough to turn things around, which is unfortunate. I'm glad he's looking after himself though.

I got thinking afterwards, how do others handle being around a group of negative people repeatedly? Other than with wry humour which doesn't always go over so well ?
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Now where would I read a lot of negative comments mmmm LOL. In real life I handle things like I do on the forum. I try to be kind and considerate and when I can no longer do that I quit corresponding or talking to that person(s).

Because I'm involved in a lot of mental health groups/activities I often make what I call one way contacts. They feel free to call or contact me when they feel lousy, but when I feel lousy, they have no time for me. So I learn my lesson and I cut them out of my life pretty quickly or I limit my contact with them.

I'm not criticizing the person who cannot help commiserate with me when I'm down, that may be just their make up or where they are in life. By the same token I cannot be around people 100% of the time who are negative all of the time. I have to look after my health too.

So no matter how much I like a group, if they are always negative, you won't find me around. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Uni. Negative energy can bring me down if I'm around it all the time.

There are times in my life when I'm in such a messed up place that I can't be supportive to others. It may seem selfish but at those times I have so little energy, there just isn't enough to go around. Fortunately that's not all the time.

I have a friend who suffers from depression. We get together when we are both 'able to'. We have this understanding that neither will take offense if the other isn't able to make themselves available. It's a friendship I treasure.

By the same token I cannot be around people 100% of the time who are negative all of the time. I have to look after my health too.
          I can't either Paul.

On the other hand I think web forums are a little different. People on the forum are not 'friends' the way you can be in the world out there. We can post when we feel like it, or just read posts, or not come to the forum if we choose. (As admin I'm on this site daily unless I'm away and don't have remote access, but I don't always post).
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
          X