Body clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body clock

Just feel like complaining here, as there's not much else I care to do at 2 a.m.

My body clock has been all out of whack these last few days. Trouble getting to sleep, waking up at intervals (probably not used to furnace cutting in and out), waking up very early or very late, which throws med times off, not to mention SAD light usage. No coffee makes no difference. No naps makes no difference. Eating or not eating at bedtime makes no difference. Computer or no computer at night makes only minor difference. Reading ditto. All the usual factors don't seem to fit.

Last night I realized too late that I own melatonin tablets for times like this. Finally I remembered my relaxation CD; put it on and it worked like a charm! Went to play it again tonight but b/f here for the weekend and doesn't care for it, so I shut it off. Silence. Maybe a good thing, conducive to sleep this time around, I figure. Then b/f, who doesn't snore every night, decides to tonight. So. I finally get up, do some reading in the kitchen while eating a light snack, and decide to check forum on computer. Which brings me to now.

It has just dawned on me that lately I've been Feeling hot, then cold, with a stuffy head, sneezing, itchy eyes, itchy ears, and scratchy throat. Son of a gun - maybe I'm just fighting a cold! How nice if my body clock resets itself when these symptoms settle.

Oh good grief. This is weird. Turns out tonight is "turn back your clocks" night. We don't even do that here in Saskatchewan. I guess my body is telling me I should move somewhere else. Maybe Arizona, where it's warm? Oh crap, they don't turn the clocks back there either.

Enough of this. Off to bed ...again.
    Zzzzzz.....
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hi Uni. I was up early today. Someone forgot to tell my dog Bella that the time changed here. Honestly this clock changing business is for the birds. The only thing it changes is that twice as many pedestrians get hit for 2 months after the time changes, at least that's what they said on the news last night.

In winter we get up in the dark, go to bed in the dark and for people who work indoors it's truly awful. When I was a lot younger and even more foolish than I am now, I worked in northern Alberta. It was great in the summer, light for hours and hours, but in the winter we were thrown into darkness with only a few hours of light. Okay I'll stop with the I remember when stories. :-)

When I was doing intense therapy work I used to plug in to relaxation music at bedtime. It helped quite a bit. Somehow now it doesn't seem to have the same effect. Luckily I don't have to deal with a person who snores. If I did, they'd be on the couch! I have enough problems sleeping without someone else making it harder.
    I hope you recover quickly from whatever bug you're getting. There's certainly enough of them circulating right now.

If you decide to move to Arizona, let me know ahead of time so that I can pack my bags.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

My brother is heavy into herbal stuff and he pointed us to valerian root for sleep. Comes in capsule form. Thought it might be worth a mention. Fortunately my sleep patterns have not been a problem since things levelled out for me but in the midst of an episode not being able to sleep was an added curse.

Not looking forward to the 6 to 8 months of winter but if it just manages to stay above temps that won't freeze your hair I can make the best of it. Maybe even try a little ice fishing again, unlike last winter when you would have to be a real die-hard to go outside for more than half an hour.

I suppose I may be losing the meaning of being a "northerner". Hate being cold.

Comment

I've heard of valerian root but have never tried it. May hit the melatonin tonight though, because my sleep patterns are teasing me - I'll sleep not bad one night, then off-kilter the next, etc. I do think I had a bit of a cold but have fought it off with mucho vitamin C.

Saw my psychologist 2 days ago and she suggested getting up early whether I'd slept or not, then take a short nap around noon (no more than 20 minutes) and hopefully I'd get back on track after a few days. Am trying (yawn)....

She also mentioned using "white noise" but I don't want to go out and buy a "white noise" machine, if indeed they exist. One way of getting white noise is to keep your furnace fan running, but the way mine is set up I can't do it. Thought my b/f could figure it out, but no. He runs his all the time to drown out chirping birds and barking dogs. Anyway, my furnace cutting in and out is part of the problem but I expect I'll get used to soon. Meanwhile, I did own a "dawn simulator" clock thingie years ago, which I came across and am sure I packed last year when I moved. I have no idea where it is, but I may go on a hunting expedition into the black hole under the stairs....
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

This time of year is rough. I can't get over it being dark at 5 pm or sooner some days when it's raining and such..

I agree with your psychologist's suggestion to get up early regardless of you've slept or not so then you are getting your body in a regular groove and routine and hopefully, by day's end, you will be so tired and get a good night's sleep.

I tried melatonin before and its works pretty good. It's worth a try.

Here's hoping you get some zzzzz's tonight.

Comment

Thanks Christina, I actually did sleep well last night! And I was up early this morning (early for me is 8 am). Woke up about 5 min before the alarm went off. It's a good start
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. My wife is a light sleeper and after trying several things , like machines that make waterfall sounds or brooks gurgling or birds singing, we found the best solution was a fairly cheap (used) ordinary fan plugged in by her side of the bed and directed away from her.

It didn't use much electricity and provide just enough noise to cover the noises that were waking her up. It can't be a small fan, but it doesn't have to be large either. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul, I like the idea of the fan - so simple, and no doubt effective! I will write the idea down so I don't forget, but for now I may be ok without it (knock on wood). The last few nights I've slept well and haven't been waking up when the furnace kicks in. Hopefully the trend will continue, but if not I may put your fan idea to use.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                X