Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking sunny holiday to escape darkness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking sunny holiday to escape darkness?

Has anybody else gone south to try to mitigate their depressive symptoms, particularly those related to the darkness and now, I would add, the xmas holidays. I went to cuba for a week already and it did help, but now I am looking to go again, perhaps for longer.

I should add that I am now some 'highroller", but sought out really cheap accomodations that I still could not really afford, but needed to get myself out somehow

Comment

Hello Sneuby - thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum! I have found tremendous help and support here, and hope you find the same.

I think it's great that you recognize the need to "get out somehow" as a way to feel better. It can be very hard to do, and recognizing the need for it is half the battle, so you already have that going for you.

I think Cuba sounds like a very interesting place to go, although of course there are a zillion other warm destinations.

It's been pretty well proven that getting a break from our dark, cold winters is good for the mood. Speaking from personal experience, I would recommend it. I won't say it's a cure-all but life is easier when you can just walk out the door into the sunshine. No putting on boots and coats and mitts, no scraping the car windows, no getting stuck, no watching for icy patches when you walk - it's just much easier to deal with going anywhere.

The shortest time I've spent on a sunny holiday was 10 days, and the longest was 3 months. Accommodation was hotel or rental condo. Usually there was a pool available but I'm not a pool or beach person so that was secondary to me, although for many people those things are a must. I've never done the 1-week resort experience, so I can't tell you about that. It does seem to me that anything less than 10 days would only whet my appetite for more, and I wouldn't feel ready to return home. However, many people find it's a worthwhile break even though short, plus it's usually cheaper, so they do it every year.

In my case, I believe the sunnier weather was definitely helpful in staving off depression. It didn't make everything all better, but I would wake up in the morning to the to the sunlight coming through the blinds/curtains and actually look forward to getting out of bed. Enjoying a morning coffee on the patio made a great start to the day. I'm not one for extremely hot weather though, so I found myself seeking shade or air conditioning quite a bit but that was okey dokey with me.

One thing about going south - or anywhere on a holiday really - is who you travel with. I can travel alone and have a great trip, or I can travel with someone compatible and have a great trip, but if I'm around people I don't get along with very well it can put a damper on things. It also depends on what you like to do on a holiday (sunny or otherwise). Different strokes for different folks.

As for going away over the Christmas holidays, I can't really speak to that because I've never really done it. I wouldn't mind trying it though. I know people who spend every Christmas down south and they much prefer it over the hubbub back home.

Some people are very good at finding cheap but decent package deals. Apparently they track them down on the web. Like yourself, I don't have much money for travel these days, but where there's a will there's usually a way. Of course it won't be 5-star but I'm happy as a clam with much less; the sunshine is the same!

I realize this post has been rather long, but I wasn't sure exactly what kind of feedback you want so have given you all I can think of. I hope it's been of some help.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum Sneuby.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Sneuby and welcome to the forum. Thx for your post and the insight about your trip to Cuba.Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by sneuby View Post
            Has anybody else gone south to try to mitigate their depressive symptoms, particularly those related to the darkness and now, I would add, the xmas holidays. I went to cuba for a week already and it did help, but now I am looking to go again, perhaps for longer.
            My brother does that, he struggles with depression himself and goes on holidays a lot. He also moves to different cities in his job role. I think its awesome to travel i wish i had time to do it myself.

Comment

Working...
            X