October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October

It dawned (haha) on me this morning that October is here, which is the month I start using my SAD light. It has also dawned on me that I don't know where I put it
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Feeling those shorter daylight hours too. I really am tuned in to sunrise and sunset. Just a few weeks ago, I was getting up at 5AM. Now it's more like 7. Probably would have made a great bear given the way I hibernate.

Comment

Me too. It seems to me there are a lot of bear types on depression forums!
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I've always been curious about SAD lights. How often do you use them (and for how long at a time), and what does it feel like?

Comment

Hi catman. Good questions. The use and effect of SAD lights varies with the individual, just like doses of medication can vary. Generally, you start with 10 minutes each morning and gradually work up to half an hour or longer.

As for what it feels like, I can only tell you my own experience. During the dark mornings I'll often wake up feeling as though I haven't had enough sleep, even if I've had lots. I plunk myself in front of the light and by the time 30 minutes are up I feel awake, have some energy, and am ready to function. Not completely unlike drinking morning coffee, but more gradual, less jarring to the system, and no messing with blood sugar. Using the light routinely helps to stabilize the sleep/wake cycle.

I will try to find a couple of links to post that might be helpful.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

www.cet.org

Last edited by uni; October 2, 2016, 05:16 PM.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Good subject and thx for the links. I don't start slowing down so much at this time of year providing that I can get outside a lot. However in another couple of mths or so it won't matter if I lived outside my energy will start to drain LOL.

I have found that in the past few years my SAD problems have not been as great and lasted for a shorter period of time when I exercise more. Of course it is always hard to exercise when lying around feeling totally drained of energy due to SAD already having got to me!

I hope that you find your lamp. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

I agree that walking in the outdoors is one of the best remedies, providing you can talk yourself into actually doing it!

I found my lamp, by the way My usual routine is to start using it on Oct.15th and keep on until April.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I'm using my light again; starting with 10 minutes and will work up to half an hour over the next couple of weeks. It's actually kind of nice to get back into the routine
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Been a pretty dreary stretch of weather hasn't it? Hope that UV light is working for you. I have one too, but I have not seen it since we moved back from BC. May have to get another. Looking forward to dreading Christmas yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting back View Post
                      Looking forward to dreading Christmas yet again.
                      That says it perfectly!

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                      X