My SAD light is fried!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SAD light is fried!

I use a SAD light in the winter. I can experience depression any time of year, but living quite far north means fewer daylight hours in winter, so I try to level the playing field.

The trusty light that I've used for several years conked out on me last spring. The company no longer produces the model I want. Procrastinator me is only now looking for a new one. I really dislike shopping for these things. They aren't regulated by law like meds are, plus some of the manufacturers are unable to back up their claims. Also I don't do online shopping if I can help it. So right now I'm checking out the local stores with mixed results. I can probably get one for anywhere from $75 to $170; however ideally I'd like one small enough for travel.

Any suggestions, ideas, or leads are welcome!
    Last edited by uni; September 20, 2018, 11:53 PM.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

The topic should say "My SAD light is fried"!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I fixed it for you Uni. LOL
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Uni. A couple of places that you may want to look at. The first is the Mayo clinic for an overview https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/art-20048298 . Secondly you might want to try and contact the Manitoba mood disorders. They rent them for a reasonable amount. I know that you don't live in Manitoba, but perhaps they could tell you what type the rent or sell. Also http://northernlighttechnologies.com...rochureUS1.pdf sells replacement lamps and has other info including prices. I don't know what kind of lamp yours is, bu look. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you AJ Thank you Paul

The light's so bright I have to wear shades! In actual fact, I have a lead on possibly getting mine fixed. Will see.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Someone I know had a garage sale recently and has given me a light to try out. It's not officially for mood, but mimics daylight at a lower intensity than the one I was using. I'll give it a shot and see if I notice any difference.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

keep us posted Uni.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I can't seem to get up early enough in the morning to try out the try-out light! Will keep trying
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

It's hard to get motivated in the morning being greeted by a shovel and a whole lot of snow flakes!
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I'm trying out the garage sale light but not every day. I also have a full spectrum light in the kitchen so it's good to sit there in the morning. So far, so good, but it's early in the season so I have to become more diligent about the routine.

I tried getting my old one fixed but it's not fixable. Some little electronic part has blown.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

So I'm still trying out the garage sale light. It probably helps a bit but I'm going to add full spectrum bulbs to the light bar in my bathroom and see what happens with those. I'm a little concerned about trying out a new SAD lamp just now because my sister has cataracts, she believes from many hours of sunlight, and I want to research a bit further. I don't think it should matter, because the SAD lamps generally block out harmful rays, but I'm a researcher at heart I guess!
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Any updates on the SAD lamp Uni?

Certainly the time of year it is needed!

I am pretty lucky this year: I'm not working at the moment, so have the time to go outside as much as I want and and enjoy the daylight (not that I always convince myself it is worth it!). Also, I am in the city this year - lots of lights outdoors - never feels as isolating and somber as the country did.

Still feeling the SAD tho - how many days till spring? Haha....

K.

Comment

Great to hear from you Kate! I'm glad you get to go outside in the daylight

After giving the sorta kinda light bulb setup a try,and researching eye safety, I've ended up buying a new SAD light. It's supposedly travel friendly, but twice the size of my previous one and no battery, only plug in. However, it was on sale and available in my hometown so I bought it. Have used it for about ten days now, Started at 10 minutes, now at 20 minutes and if it's similar to my previous one 30 minutes should be about right. I didn't notice any difference for about a week, but believe it's kicking in now. Will post a progress report again later.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That is good news Uni! Hope it continues working for you!

Less than a month now of shorter and shorter days - then the sun will start working its way back into brighter and sunnier days!!

Comment

Well that is also good news Kaight! These short days do not help my mood in any way.
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X