Using "day lights" around my home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using "day lights" around my home

Has anyone else tried "day light" or "full spectrum" lights around their home?

This fall and winter I've been home way more than usual, thanks to Covid. So I've been experimenting with what I call "day lights", which are bulbs that mimic the spectrum that sunlight gives. I have them in several ceiling sockets around my home, and turn them on for a few hours most days and just do my usual stuff around the house. So far I've been doing alright mood-wise with this method, as opposed to my SAD light, which is the small one you sit in front of every morning. What I haven't figured out is whether this is contributing to the fact that I stay up later than I'd like, and then sleep in. I'm not an early riser by nature, and have run into this over the years regardless of light bulb types. Still, if it bugs me too much I might take a look at further experimentation.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I understand that certain types of light can delay or reduce the body’s production of melatonin (our bodies’ way of ‘suggesting’ we start to wind down for sleep)

I did a bit of searching found this: https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...in%20secretion.

Comment

Hello RiverRanch, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for the link, that was an informative article. It's interesting to see articles like this one updated, especially because we use so many screens in daily life nowadays. I used to work shifts, and am a real believer in the power of light, both artificial and natural. I also believe that some people are more affected by it than others. Trying to tweak it is an ongoing experiment for me right now. One thing I know - I've misplaced the night light from my bathroom and need to go looking for it...
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I think you are referring to daylight spectrum bulbs, 5000 kelvin. As opposed to some bulbs that appear yellow, or warm. If in ceiling they are too far from your eyes. A real sad light, has to be within a few feet of your eyes and is usually sat in front of while reading or stationary at a desk. Here is one I use. I also take 2000 units of vitamin d, exercise and go outside when sunny in winter. This helps me with seasonal depression.
        Last edited by AJ; June 4, 2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Grover, and welcome to the forum!

Most winters I use a light source similar to the one you have. I understand that the bulbs in my ceiling fixtures can't compare to a "dose" from a SAD lamp. In fact, even if I take an hour long walk on a bright winter day, the light isn't as much as one might think. However, I'm doing a bit of an experiment this year because I'm home so much more than usual and have the house lights on for many hours on end. So far it seems to be going ok, which I have to say is quite a surprise, as I expected I'd be bringing my light out again.

I'm paying attention to my moods though, and because winter is far from over, am prepared to sit in front of my SAD lamp if it makes the difference between feeling okay and being depressed. Like you, I take vitamin d, go outside, and although I don't exercise as much as I could, I do some of that too. Sounds like it's so far so good for both of us, fingers crossed!
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forums Grover.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I have noticed quite a few times how annoying very bright lights can be at night and one of the best ways is to control their intensity by time. I'm not talking about dim control which is manual, but more like an automated device that can do that on its on after it is set up. There are some great Allen bradley lighting control devices that I was thinking of investing in a few of my saved money. I get really sensitive to bright lights at night and specially when I wake up to go to the washroom. I think it's an important aspect of a good sleep to not disturb your eyes too much.
              Last edited by AJ; June 7, 2023, 01:49 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link.

Comment

Hmm, it seems an interesting experience, but I never heard or saw about these daylights. I think it should be exciting and fun. It won't be harmful to try this one. Check this website the home revamp, it would be helpful for you if you want to build or repair something. Also, one month ago, I had a problem with water pressure in the sink in my bathroom. If you had or you will have something like this in the future, it could save your time and money, of course. I hope this post will be helpful and valuable
                Last edited by Atonic; June 15, 2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

This is actually a great idea. However, your monthly electric consumption might also increase. Don't you have windows? I think it is better than buying a bunch of lights just to mimic the natural lighting. I personally like it when I am working on something. However, I prefer pitch black darkness when sleeping. It just helps me to sleep deeper and more comfortably. You might also what to add plants in your room hahah just to complete the covid stay at home feels

Comment

It's an exciting way of decorating your house. Are there any others suggestions?

Comment

It's a thing to lit up the house. I agree with you and support your ideas. I'm sure that this will make your home stand out in your neighborhood. When you finish with that, install a modern acrylic house number sign. You can choose an illuminated one also. More lights, much better. You will feel Christmas all year long. I have to consult with my wife if we would like to light up our facade a little bit in the near future.
                      Last edited by AJ; June 4, 2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I also prefer to sleep in complete darkness, the light tends to keep me awake. Plants are a great way to liven up a room. I recently purchased two orchids for my bedroom and they are beautiful.

Mocah231

Comment

Hi Morkab. The output needed probably depends on what your outlet can handle and what is required for your lightening system.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                          X