The virtual world of social media - update 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The virtual world of social media - update 2022

Just an update .. 5 years after posting this topic ( The virtual world of social media ) back in 2016
    On November 2019 I had to deactivate my account on Facebook .. that was not the first time .. I frequently do so .. I take breaks. .. And I come back a few weeks later .. I just enjoyed being immune .. proving to myself and to many other people that addiction to Facebook is treatable ..
    However this time I had to go to extreme measures .. I wanted to stay away from Facebook for a whole year .. I only came back in November 2020 .. and since then I'm never the same Facebook user that I was between 2011 and 20019 .. I rarely use it now .. and when I say ( extreme measures ) I do mean it .. I had to unfriend everybody in November 2019 to force myself to stay away from facebook .. I explained this to all my friends and told them I had to do it ..
    when I reactivated my account in November 2020 I started sending friend requests .. but not all of them .. I used to have more than 100 friends .. Now I have only twenty .. and I noticed that my life is much better without Facebook .. even after coming back I'm not attracted to it ..
    Note .. Im not asking everybody to do the same like me .. I don't consider myself as an example to follow .. because we're individuals and we are different .. everyone of us should do what he or she thinks is good for him or her ..
    I just wanted to share this as an experience and an update ..

Hi Jafar. Thanks for the update. It sounds like the break away from Facebook was beneficial for you.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi AJ
      yes it does seem so ..
      Thanks for commenting

Comment

Great to hear you've found a way to use Facebook rather than have it use you. Way to go!
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

To be honest, I don't really see the point in deactivating your account and then coming back on social media. Why would you come back if you're so against social media platforms and want to be social media-free? I don't wanna sound rude, but that's my humble opinion. In fact, I can't really think of any major social media drawbacks. I've been using Instagram and Facebook for about 15 years now, and it's become a lifestyle for me. It's my main source of income, and sharing content with my audience makes me happy. By the way, I've just hit 250K followers on Instagram, and I couldn't be more thankful to SocialBoosting for helping me achieve such a high number! Go follow me at @christine.beauty.
          Last edited by Sativea; February 21, 2022, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Sativea
            what's the point ?
            The point is exactly the opposite of what you're doing here .. encouraging people to be addicted to social media .. not for their benefit .. but for yours .. so the point is very obvious but it doesn't suit you ..
            By the way .. As I mentioned above .. I'm not asking others to copy me .. If you want them to copy you then that's the difference between me and you ..

Comment

I don't spend much time on social media. Sometimes I find more information about a business on their social media page then I do on their official website. I like to post my hiking pictures because my friends enjoy them, but that's about it. I personally have no interest in spending any amount of time on social media. I don't have a business that would benefit from it.

I have friends that have taken a break from social media. Some of them just don't go on their account, a few have chosen to deactivate their account and start fresh down the road. In my humble opinion, we all make are own choices about social media based on our needs and wants.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

AJ
                It doesn't have to be a matter of ( either everything or nothing ) ..
                Having my active Facebook account and checking it once a week is still much better than checking it's notifications every 10 minutes ..

Comment

I can’t agree more. In my opinion, everyone has there own choice about how
                  much, or how little, or not at all.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Did you have a bad experience on facebook? I know that social media is sometimes harsh, but it’s an easy way to promote a small business. Last year I searched for how to get your instagram verified and was hoping to get a verification badge. Apparently, you have to follow some complex criteria, and I didn’t bother. Even without a badge, I have a good conversion, and people buy my stuff regularly. It’s nice to connect with your clients because having an online business can seem difficult for gaining people’s appreciation. Aside from the business side, it’s true that the social impact it has can be damaging.
                    Last edited by richashon; April 11, 2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Richashon ..
                      my experience with Facebook wasn't bad in general .. I used it write my opinion in several topics and publish photos ( not necessarily personal ) ..
                      You can say that I was a blogger ..

Comment

A person decides whether he is dependent on social networks or not, so forcibly disabling a Facebook page looks more like a dramatic gesture than a solution to the problem. If you can't control yourself, then you have problems, not the social network, since this is a neutral phenomenon. I use Instagram for business, which does not prevent me from spending most of my free time with my family or friends. I sit on TikTok occasionally. I don't feel any pressure since I spend limited time on the Internet.
                        Last edited by richashon; July 14, 2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

" If you can't control yourself then you have a problem "
                          Of course I have a problem .. and admitting having a problem is not a shame .. It's better than being delusional and living in denial .. pretending to have no problems .. pretending to have everything under control just to feel better about yourself ..

Comment

One of the important lessons I learned in my life is :
                            What is a PROBLEM for you is not necessarily a PROBLEM for me ..
                            And the opposite is correct too :
                            What is a PROBLEM for me is not necessarily a PROBLEM for you ..
                            We are INDIVIDUALS .. we are not the same person ..
                            For example : having no ( substance abuse ) problem doesn't make me a better person than another one who does have this ( substance abuse ) problem .. We all have problems but they're not necessarily the same exact problems ..
                            Even people who have the same problem might have different ways of dealing with the same problem ..

Comment

Working...
                            X