A light reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A light reminder

Just a mention for those who, like me, find help from using a SAD light.

Winter (yeah you gotta love it) is coming in a while so it may be time to haul out or think about buying a light. I usually start mine in mid-October but have been known to use it year round, in part because I believe the light helps, and in part because it gives me a little morning routine when otherwise I might get too willy-nilly. It's not for everyone. If you have certain types of eye problems for example. Or if you have bipolar -- too much of the light could possibly trigger mania.

I've been lucky and am able to use it without ill effects. I start with 10 minutes for the first week, and gradually increase to approximately half an hour. I've become attuned to what works for me, as not every individual reacts the same - sort of like meds.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hi Uni. Thanks for posting about the light therapy. Winter, yuck.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

uni Thanks for the reminder!
      “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

Just want to report that I've been having some low moods lately, and one of the tools I'm using to weather them is my SAD light. Started with 10 minutes and am up to 15 now. I may work up to 30 minutes if necessary, will see how things go. I like the routine of sitting with the light in the mornings; it helps to settle me somehow.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Do you read when you’re using it Uni?
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for the question AJ; I do a bit of inspirational reading and also work on a crossword puzzle. Some days I check my phone for news, but with the negatives out there I try not to do much of that.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Uni. Those are good ways to pass the time. I'd probably park the light in front of a window with a view. Although mostly it's a view of the white stuff these days.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I had one but I didn’t like it. I find I’m sensitive to some lights. Which is a shame it didn’t work for me.

Comment

I think the light is hit and miss. Some people love it and others dislike it.

mocha231

Comment

Hi Biloxi, and thanks for posting! At least you gave the light a try. That's unfortunate you can't use it. I agree with Mocha231, some people love the light and others not. I look at it kind of like a medication that is suitable for some people but not others.

One thing I've heard from people is they start right off the bat with half an hour of intense light. It's too much, you have to gradually build up. Also some lamps have more than one brightness setting. They vary so much and can be expensive, which makes it hard to know whether to try one.

I thought I had the real deal - a well researched lamp that gave a month's rental toward buying it. I couldn't stand even the low setting - far too bright for me. I now use a plain jane travel size one I bought at a local drug store. Works for me.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                    X