NATIONAL YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL
Are you or someone you know affected by mental illness? Are you seeking an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of Canadians struggling with their mental health?
The Mood Disorders Society of Canada (MDSC) Youth Advisory Council is a network of students from colleges and universities across the country, aimed at engaging young adults in discussions about issues surrounding mental health in their own age demographic. We are seeking:
- Young Adults.
- To meet (virtually) quarterly.
- To engage in conversations about current mental health issues & consult on current MDSC initiatives.
- To formulate resources for young adults on mental health and accessing mental health services.
- To engage in fundraising events to support and promote peer-based mental health resources and programs.
Today’s youth and students are the future leaders of society – it is our actions that will shape the future of mental health care and societal perception of mental health. We must work together to create a more progressive society that accepts that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of and impress upon decision-makers that mental health services are necessary and must be accessible to all. Let’s work together to create a more progressive society that accepts that mental health is health!
If you are interested in making a difference and would like to learn more, please contact us.
- The goal of the council is to create a network of youth, (future mental health leaders), from colleges and universities across the country, to participate in local activities in support of MDSC and provide direct recommendations on MDSC programs, resources and supports for youth. We are also looking to better share existing supports throughout this network more effectively. Activities will include policy discussion, engagement in MDSC fundraising events and promoting peer-based mental health resources and programs.
- One of the goals of this new initiative is to identify where there are potential gaps in supports for local students and to assist the students in acquiring the resources needed. An example of one of the projects to be executed through the youth council would be to develop a mental health resource booklet for youth. This new resource would be added to existing MDSC resource booklets on workplace mental health, medications, depression, bipolar disorder, mental health and addictions.
- Future goals will be developed by Youth for Youth based on their identified priorities.