This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re: facebook fan

I'm really liking the forums here. I do have a question, though. Being new at the whole internet thing I checked out facebook. Somehow - don't ask me how - I came across my actual name and (in my case anonymous silhouette) picture. Am I simply naive in being surprised and a little disturbed by this? Due to the stigma "out there" I think I managed to remove myself as a fan. I may or may not become one again. My question is: how and why does this occur? ( F.Y.I. it won't deter me from posting here). Thanks for any enlightenment.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I've never heard of that Uni! I had no idea that you could be a facebook fan of this site...
    on facebook if you clicked 'remove' then it should have done just that and you don't have to worry about it.
    but if I'm wrong, please guys... feel free to correct me!

Anne.
    Anne.

Comment

Hello Uni. I know little about facebook and I cannot remember if I had to use my real name to sign up here or not. But AJ. or Woody should be able to find out for you. Take Care, paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Here are two screen shots of the registration process. You are required to give a valid email address, but not your real name, just a user name you choose. Top part of registration page.jpg
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Second image of registration page (only 1 picture per post allowed)

Bottom part Registration page.jpg

None of your registration information is shared with any other organization, including Facebook. What people see if they come to this website, and click on your user name, is your public profile information.

Administrators have access to all the information you gave when you registered. An admin. account is necessary to access it.
          Last edited by AJ; August 12, 2009, 11:31 PM.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Facebook

I do not use Facebook (for many reasons). My understanding is that you do need to have a membership to access facebook. However, anyone who uses facebook can post information or a picture of YOU without your consent. I'm not sure exactly what you were looking at. You can PM me with more details and I will have a look at it.
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. Thx for your quick reply. I must admit that it did twinge my grey matter a little bit. Not because I object to anyone knowing my name, it would be the without permission part that would tick me off. Take Care. paul m

Hello Uni. I'm glad that you brought up this matter as it is always better to ask a question than to worry about it. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

That's the part that really bugs me too Paul. The without permission part.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I use facebook regularly.

Uni - it could be that someone has the exact same name as you. I haven't seen people displayed as fans.

Comment

I use facebook all the time as well but had never even known that there were groups of this kind...
                    if you're like me Uni, it was probably one of those "OOOOOOPS!!" moments where you may have clicked on something mistakenly.
                    or, like Edmbigrl said, perhaps it's someone with the same name as you which is quite likely as well.

I was actually shocked to see how many pages of people on facebook have the same name I do!!!

Anne.
                    Anne.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions re: my facebook experience. I've made my privacy stuff pretty tight now as a precaution. Here's how I stumbled upon the whole thing (to the best of my befuddled recollection): I looked up "mood disorders society of Canada" on Google. About the fourth entry down was the "official facebook page" of the mdsc. Out of curiosity, what is the reason for such a page? Am in learning mode here.
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

There was some discussion a while back, about having a Mood Disorder face book page for people to communicate thru. It was decided that these forums were a much better place to do so. I didn't know the face book page had been created. I'd go an check it out, but I am not a member of face book, and don't plan to be. Has there been any signs of life on it? I can ask Kelly (Admin) about it.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Was looking into this stuff again and would explain more about it except that I'm running into trouble with posting. I must be doing something wrong, but not all the time. Will keep you "posted" (ha! - sorry!)
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Can you give me the particulars? What are you doing exactly when you run into problems? Creating a new post? Replying to a post? Are you getting an error message? If so, write it down exactly, and let me know. Maybe we can figure this thing out together.
                            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Just want to let you know that I am going to keep using trial and error for awhile regarding the posting. I know a couple of people who may be able to help me without trying to explain it all here. As for the facebook stuff, I'm going to check it out some more; it hasn't been a high priority of mine this last while. I'll let you know more another time. Thanks for your patience with all my questions - I am grateful.
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X