• Show
Clear All

Please, let me add more sand to the mud

BB, there are four different ways of viewing threads:
    Linear Mode - Oldest First,
    Linear Mode - Newest First,
    Threaded Mode,
    Hybrid Mode.

I would also estimate that 99.99% 14 time out if 15 users use linear oldest or newest first.

If you view the forum in linear ( Oldest or Newest) first mode, it does not mater which quick reply you click on, they will fall in there respectful chronological order. This is suppose to be different in threaded or hybrid mode. This is an example.

It looks pretty but when you get down to brass tax, it can be very confusing to follow. I have found that the format is still popular in some of the tech support forum but like stated before, most here do not use it and to be frank, I would not suggest it to anyone.

As for quoting other members we have no set rules and I am sure which ever you choose will be fine.

If a post from another user or a series of post are not clear to you. Ask. No one here will berate or ridicule you for inquiring. As I have often said; there are no stupid question... just stupid answers.

Hope this was of assistance
    ps... Please leave a juicy steak for my Cyber Tooth Tiger
    Woody

Comment

Hello BB. I wasn't implying that you were complaining, nor was I complaining about the content of your posts. Sometimes people's(or at least my) good intentions do not always translate the way I would like them to in the electronic medium. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

'I am not criticizing how people communicate in the forum. I am not criticizing the software. I am not criticizing MDSC. I am not saying anyone or anything is correct or incorrect.'

I never thought you were BB.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I don't know where the misunderstanding is and it seems so simple. So, I'll try asking again.

Originally posted by basically benign View Post
          What are the differences between "Quick Reply" and "Quote", please?
          bb
          Originally posted by AJ View Post
          Quick reply is like reply without all the bells and whistles.

Whenever I try "Quick Reply" and "Quote" I seem to find many differences.

What am I doing wrong, please? (<<<---This is the question I am asking.)

bb

Comment

Quick reply vs Reply with quote

BB, I think I understand now

Under the quick reply box you should have a check mark next to "quote message in reply"
            If you remove that check mark it will not quote the message that you clicked quick reply on.
            Now you should see a difference between Reply with quote and quick reply
            Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
              BB, I think I understand now

Under the quick reply box you should have a check mark next to "quote message in reply"
              If you remove that check mark it will not quote the message that you clicked quick reply on.
              Now you should see a difference between Reply with quote and quick reply

Nope. I don't even know what box you are talking about.

I'll tell you what I am seeing:

This post (mine) is post #21 in this thread, and your post--quoted above--is post #20.

The top-left corner of the box that this writing is in--the writing that you are reading right now--has the date and time of this post.

The top-right corner of this same box has: #21, beside it to the right is a weight-scales icon-button, and beside that is an icon-button of a white triangle with a red outline with a black vertical bar inside it.

In this same box, along the bottom, in the far-right corner is an icon-button of a piece of paper with a feather pen in front of it. If you hover your cursor over this icon, the message, "Quick reply to this message", usually appears where your cursor is. If you click this icon-button the "Quick Reply" screen appears for you. Let's call this the "Quick Reply" icon-button.

Immediately to the left of that icon (second-from-the-right) is another icon-button of a piece of paper with a close-quote and an addition-sign on it. If you hover your cursor over this icon, the message, "Multi-Quote This Message", usually appears where your cursor is. If you click this icon-button it turns orange or red. (Click it a second time and the colour returns to white.)

Immediately to the left of that icon (third-from-the-right) is another icon-button of a piece of paper with a feather pen in front of it and the word "Quote" is also on it. If you hover your cursor over this icon, the message, "Reply With Quote", usually appears where your cursor is. If you click this icon-button the "Reply to Thread" screen appears for you with this post quoted in it. Let's call this the "Quote" icon-button.

Now, I'll try again.

1) Unlike what AJ told me, I have found many more differences than simply "bells and whistles" between instances when I post a reply message using the "Quick Reply" icon-button and when I post a reply message using the "Quote" icon-button.

2) I have tried to explain some of the differences that I have found when I use either method. These differences are observed both while I am creating replies and after the replies are posted.

3) Now that I am writing this, it occurs to me that you are the only person (other than myself) who has mentioned any sort of "Quote" icon/button/toggle/checkbox.

Here is the original question --->>> Are there actually differences between the two types of replies or not (see #1, above)? ("Yes" or "No"?)

Now, I have a supplementary question --->>> Am I even looking at the same thing everyone else is (see #3, above)? ("Yes" or "No"?)

More hopelessly lost,
              bb

Comment

1) Unlike what AJ told me, I have found many more differences than simply "bells and whistles" between instances when I post a reply message using the "Quick Reply" icon-button and when I post a reply message using the "Quote" icon-button.

The "quick reply" will give you a simple text box without all the bells and whistles (no text formating, no preview, no smilies, etc... type and post . )

The "Quote" is the same as clicking on the "Post Reply" You get the same editor with all the extras.

2) I have tried to explain some of the differences that I have found when I use either method. These differences are observed both while I am creating replies and after the replies are posted.

Unless you make changes in font, colour, add picture, add an attachment, link to a website etc, there will be no discernible different between a post done in "Quick Reply" or "Post Reply"

3) Now that I am writing this, it occurs to me that you are the only person (other than myself) who has mentioned any sort of "Quote" icon/button/toggle/checkbox.

My confusion in regards to your post # 19
                Originally posted by basically benign View Post
                Whenever I try "Quick Reply" and "Quote" I seem to find many differences.

Are there actually differences between the two types of replies or not (see #1, above)? ("Yes" or "No"?)

Yes they can be so long as you make use of the extra options

Am I even looking at the same thing everyone else is (see #3, above)? ("Yes" or "No"?)

Your description sound accurate. My screen is different as moderator.

Woody

Comment

Hey BB, as unhelpful as I was, I was trying to be helpful. Here's me crawling back into my rabbit hole.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                  X