Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

Sober Living/Recovery Houses for Men in Toronto? Anyone aware of any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Sober Living/Recovery Houses for Men in Toronto? Anyone aware of any?

My 22 year old son is in a residential treatment facility in the United States for substance abuse/addiction. In the states, many recovering addicts go to sober living/ recovery houses after they leave residential treatment facilities prior to going back home. They are also called half way houses or 3/4 way houses. I am looking for one in Toronto for my son to go to once he completes his residential day treatment. The hope is that he will live there while going to University (sort of a safe landing before he goes back into society with no safety net).

I am aware of one private facility in Toronto but would like to learn of others both private and publically funded. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums Tslvtwins. Sorry I can't help you with your question about facilities in Toronto.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hellotslvtwins. I'm sorry but I don't know(I'm not from Toronto), but I do know
      where you can start looking. Connex Ontario( a division of the provincial gov't) operates a toll free line, a web chat -site and/or you can email them to find out about services available anywhere in Ontario. I will list the website at the end.

CAMH, The Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto also has an information line for people with addiction problems. Last, what ever University he is going to will have a deptartment that deals with students with disabilities and they can probably help with some information. I hope that he finds the services that he needs. Take Care. paul m

Connex: 1-800-565-8603 : http://www.drugandalcoholhelpline.ca/

CAMH: 1-800-463-6273 or in Toronto at 416-595-6111 :http://www.camh.net/About_Addiction_...tre/index.html
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul for the advice.

Comment

Hello tslvtwins . Thx for the thx. However my last answer was a bit rushed as I was short of time so here is a bit more.

I can appreciate the worries that you are having about your son's future. My son's illness is different, but the worry factor is still great. All colleges and universities in Cda that recieve federal funding must have a disabilities dept. When my son was going to college they were great. They had doctors on staff and/or doctors that they could refer him too. He was allowed so many hours of counselling as well. A couple of times the dept went to bat for him when he had problems and the professor did not believe his excuses.

The disability dept is not a free pass and my son still had to work quite hard, but they did make a difference and he still speaks highly of them. I realize that each school may vary in quality, but it might be just one more tool in the arsenal to help combat the problems that your son faces. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
          X