Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

Quitting Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) Quitting Smoking

I am having a seriously hard time quitting smoking and am wondering how others have managed to do it.

I began smoking (daily) 2.5 years ago just before I started to have noticable symptoms (of depression), and remember thinking that it helped me deal with 'stress' at the time. Previous to that, I smoked for roughly 2 years but only when drinking, so it was a very infrequent habit.

About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been lucky that has stabilized on medication. I have tried to quit cold turkey 3 times since, but can't seem to make it past 3-4 days when the withdrawal symptoms get intense (no amount of help from others, reminders etc works, I just can't stand the feelings I have). I know it won't last but I feel very emotionally unstable at those times and it reminds of how I felt before I was diagnosed...I especially find the agitated, anxious and restless feelings the worst and worry that I might have episodes again.

Because I have experience with an anti-depressant making me manic, I don't think I could take some of the medication that helps with quitting. I am going to attempt using the patch and see if that will help in gradually reducing nicotine and hopefully make the withdrawal symptoms less severe so I can stand them. Has this (or other tactics) been useful for others? It is discouraging to see statistics that those who are bipolar smoke at significantly higher rates (~70%) than the regular population - as if it wasn't hard enough to begin with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Sep. Quitting smoking is a snap for some people and a nightmare for others. I think that the number of people who have bipolar that smoke is down a bit now, but I can remember when meetings were planned around frequent smoke breaks as everybody smoked.

I've quit a number of times anywhere from 1mth to 2 yrs to hopefully forever this last time. I can't even rmember when I last smoked, but 8 plus years ago I think. I could never cut back and the patches, nicotine gum only drove me crazier than I was. To me all those methods were like slow torture. Cold turkey is the only way that I can quit.

Whenever I did decide to quite I developed a method. First I set a date. If I was working, I took holidays and when I wasn't workng I cleared my calander for a few weeks. Then I stocked up on a lot of coffee and my favorite munchies. Basically I spent the next 2-3 weeks drinking tons of extra strong coffee and eating(substituting caffeine for nicotine). Probably not the smartest way to quit, but it always worked for me. I usually had some fake plastic cigarettes to suck on as well and a ready supply of hard candies. I found it easier to cut down on coffee after the cravings had subsided.

In case you do quit, it took me quite a while to figure out that every time I had any sort of heavy episode of mania that I would start smoking again. I've learned to overcome that as well. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I've never been a smoker myself but I have been through withdrawal from meds before and it is an awful feeling. I think that in the
      long run, quitting smoking will be better for your bipolar than continuing to smoke--it will at least be better for your overall health.
      Good luck in this.
      astronaut

Comment

Cold turkey for me.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It probably did help you deal with stress, nicotine as a drug is actually shown to have mood stabilizing properties. You should be aware that when you quit you may need a med adjustment.

I quit using hypnosis - one on one, not a group thingy (those don't work)

It was a little bit pricey but I had saved that money back rather quickly and many times that amount of money over the 3 years I haven't smoked.

Good luck to you
          Rebecca

Comment

Working...
          X