Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

major issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food major issues

even though I'm actually on weight watchers, I find the last few weeks very difficult to not keep everything edible out of my mouth! I'm eating like there's no tomorrow and that's not good.
    I don't know if it's the self-medicating part of me, but I really don't want to regain those pounds I'm fighting hard to take off.

I had never really realized that my problem with food may be addiction, but it does seem to make sense.

is anyone else having a hard time with overeating?

Anne.
    Anne.

Hello Anne. Over eating tended to be a problem for me ever since I became an adult so I am not sure if it's part of my illness or just a life time of bad habits.

I do know that I do go through times when I could eat until my stomach hurts. Not all the time, but short periods here and there . When I took antipsychotics I had that problem all of the time. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

"Is anyone else having a hard time with overeating?" Yes. Especially at night, when alone and tired. Then sometimes in the morning I feel because of it. Working on it with my tdoc. She figures if I feel sort of fat, just let out my clothes. Hello! That isn't the point. The point is why do I do the eating when I know it's bad for me? And how to change it? And how badly do I want to?

Sometimes it's just not a high enough priority, and other times I think I go into temporary denial. A type of addiction? Maybe. I think it can be an escape and a way to get a little enjoyment out of life when other things aren't so hot.

Good for you going to Weight Watchers Anne. That's something positive, even if you don't stick to it perfectly.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Potato chips

When I was on Risperidone and Seroquel at the same time, I would eat supper, go upstairs then not a half hour later I was down stair and raiding the fridge. I was this behemoth eating machine.

I do not smoke anymore. Instead now, when I get stressed out, I reach for patato chips... and not just the little bags either

Since November of last year, I have put on a good 30 lb and at my February blood test and follow up March one I tested positive for sugar. My GP thinks that I might be pre-diabetic and I have an appointment with a dietitian. I have to see my GP again in 3 months to see if there is any progress. I also have to loose some weight.

Woody

Comment

Hey Woody, great to hear from you again!

That blood sugar business can be concerning, but there is quite a bit you can do about it from what I gather, as my boyfriend has been through similar. Having a dietitian sounds like a super idea.

Feelings + fatigue + food + frustration = freaking fat!

A line from my favourite poem The Desiderata goes like this: ...beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself...
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

This is a topic I always try to pretend isn't there, but today, I feel brave enough to say it out loud! My issue with food is that I just want the taste. The swallowing etc is just part of the process. I'm more careful now that I realized I had grown an extra 30 pounds outward. Part because I just needed to keep my hands/mind busy and part because I walk 2 hours a night and always got given 2 free sour cream glazed donuts. yum

I stopped the donuts but that craving at home is difficult to pass up. Interestingly, I only really noticed it since I have been on seroquel.
            Wishing you well,
            Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Hello Woody. Good to see your back. You've been missed. Take Care. paul m

Hello Re-O. Seroquel gives a lot of people extra hunger and cravings. I know whenever I have to take it my wife just quits buying snacks because I'll eat them all in one evening. Right now I make them last two. Take Care. paul m P.S When I was really broke(instead of just broke) and could not afford any extras like KFC or burger king, pop , chips etc the cravings seemed worse. Not that I can afford junk food that often now, but at least now that I can induldge once in a while it doesn't seem as bad.
              Last edited by paul m; April 1, 2010, 11:37 PM.
              Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Uni, Paul ... back but not all there

Pasta + Seroquel =
                Woody

Comment

Re-O, when you talk about mainly wanting the taste I can relate. I have trouble understanding people who just gulp the food down; what's the point if you eat so fast you can't enjoy the taste. (Others in my world beg to differ). I'm usually the last to finish a meal. However, at night in front of the TV I'll just go on automatic pilot. I still eat slowly but don't pay attention to enjoying the taste. Trouble is, the slow eating is still eating. Therein lies the bugaboo. Sigh.

By the way, congrats Re-O (and the rest of us) on addressing the food issue. Why is it so difficult for some of us, ok me, to go there? Is it just that our society is so food/weight/image conscious, or part of the mood thing? Fear of judgement - that's it!

Woody, congrats with the quitting smoking! Maybe you've mentioned it before, but congrats anyway. And if you're "not all there", well it looks like you've come to the right place.
                  Last edited by uni; April 2, 2010, 03:36 PM.
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

food is definitely a tough topic to tackle... I find myself just shoveling food.
                    and I'm not even taking seroquel anymore!!!

Anne.
                    Anne.

Comment

Hello Uni. Food, weight and image issues are definitely part of our society. I am a big guy and I know I am am a big guy, but for some reason if I am at a meeting and instead of saying I am overweight, I say that I am fat, it tends to be frowned upon.

Somebody once even took me aside one time and asked me if I really thought I was fat and mentioned that they thought fat was a derogatory term. I said no, but that I owned mirrors and I didn't think they were lying to me.

Of course part of that problem is image. People do not want to be thought of as different from the crowd. They may want to stand out from the crowd, but overall they still want to be part of it. Us black sheep have a lot of experience with being cast out from the crowd, so sometimes we get a tad touchy about some topics.

Have some more food while you watch tv Uni, your great just the way you are(whichever way that is). Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

I always ate foods depending on what mood i was having. the food helped ease my mood swings. since i started on my mood stabilizers i do not need to self medicate with food anymore

I still love to eat but i am eating because i want to, my daily meals are not planned around my mood swings anymore!

if we lived closer, we could go for long walks and burn off those pesky extra calories while we are chatting about our problems...
                        We'd be skinny and stable in no time
                        Take Care,
                        Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                        "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

When I wanted docs to appreciate my weight gain (lost some of it thankfully) I used to say I'm fat. They didn't seem to pay attention to overweight.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks Uni

My GP does not say I am fat ... she says I am obese

I was doing pretty good till last night ... well its easter weekend!
                            Woody

Comment

As I sit here eating an Oh Henry easter egg, I will firmly state that walking is not going to make me skinny. Walking and not eating at the same time might help .

I don't normally talk about my problems. I figure with 15-20 relatives and assorted neighbors talking about my problems, why should I add my small voice Take Care. paul m P. S. but walks are good.
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X