Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

Alcohol IS a drug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol IS a drug

I will jump into this thread by saying 'Alcohol is a drug'. Yes, it is more socially accepted but never the less is a DRUG. Many people are in this addiction and it is no less harmful than any other drug. It temporarily dulls the pain in our mind (and body). I have seen so many lives ruined by alcohol that I strongly believe there needs to be more education regarding this drug.I see some recognition in some commercials.AADAC is doing a good job in that department. My experience tells me that people who are addicted (drugs or alcohol)to substances seem to feel the pain of life more than others. I know that this applies to me.I feel the pain of others so strongly it is hard to bear at times. For me it is a cross between a gift and a curse. Does anyone know how accurate my take is on this? There is nothing wrong with alcohol consumed in moderation,but let's face facts. It breaks down inhibitions and dulls pain. We are still hiding our real feelings and I believe that the other drugs do the same whether they be illicit or prescriptions.This is not to say that with our mood disorders we don't need some BUT speaking for myself only, I seem to be making better progress by facing what is screwing me up.Let me know how others feel.I could be totally wrong but I won't know unless there is feed back.IF you haven't checked drug addictions thread,please do so. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all but at 62 I know I speak from experience.You can't live with these disorders this long without picking up a little bit of wisdom. lol

nice

nice to meet you all.
    DVD

Comment

Marcia, it is not you who are screwed up. Your perceptions of what comes at you and how you choose to deal with it may need adjustment but you, as a person, are beautiful simply because you exist.

I agree-facing the demons with a clear mind as opposed to one that is altered through over-indulgence makes a difference.

Welcome, Tony.

Comment

Welcome, all - I'm living with an alchohol addict and know what you are saying about it being a drug. He defines it as being "bored." I define it as having to blur his bad memories that cause the bad emotional states that "force" him to drink them into oblivion. But, I notice that he also drinks when he is happy - celebrating something - so that tells me he's unaware of the reason(s) WHY he drinks, but will admit he IS simply "a drinker" and sees no problem with it, since he's not in the gutter. Physically, he might not be on the street in a dirty alley somewhere, but emotionally, he might as well be. As long as the addiction doesn't match the stereotype society has of "an alchoholic," there's no need to deal with it. HE'S just fine, thanks. HE can control it, thanks. HE"S not indulging EVERY NIGHT, thanks. THAT'S what REAL alkies do - they are NOT fine - they CAN'T control it - they ARE doing it all the time. Until it gets to that point, there'll be no more talking about it because it doesn't apply to THEM. It's like living with someone who's got a huge, enormous shadow around, and you never know when they're going to be swallowed up by it or when they'll emerge from it. And you never know how long it will be in between those episodes. So, I just wait and try to figure out a way to get out to be on my own, but I'm also mentally and emotionally ill, so I need to focus on stabillizing myself first. So, I just wait....

Comment

Hello MerelyMe08. That is a tough situation. My spouse at times was less than supportive during my recovery, but at least I only had to worry about me.

I can only offer electronic support and no real good advice as I cannot imagine how tough it must be for you. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

I lived with an alcoholic. I got to the point that I just couldn't do it anymore.
            Life is difficult enough, looking after myself was hard enough, never mind looking after someone else. Fortunately they decided to get help, right about the same time I had decided I couldn't do it anymore.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Electronic support from you who understands is a helluva lot better than anything I get from "normals" who never will be able to "get it!" So, thank you for your kind feedback and I will graciously accept your support this way because I know where it's coming from and trust the source.

Comment

re:

Nearly all addicted individuals believe in the beginning that they can stop using drugs on their own, and most try to stop without treatment. However, most of these attempts result in failure to achieve long-term abstinence. Research has shown that long-term drug use results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after the individual stops using drugs. These drug-induced changes in brain function may have many behavioral consequences, including the compulsion to use drugs despite adverse consequencesÑ the defining characteristic of addiction.
                Last edited by Woody; April 13, 2009, 12:53 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Link

Comment

Working...
                X