psychotic break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psychotic break

I recently found out that an old friend of mine had a psychotic break after being fine for 25 years. I think her diagnosis was bipolar but am not sure. She once said that when she'd start to see vivid colours it meant an episode could be imminent. Is this unusual? Why would it happen?

I haven't seen her for a few years, but we exchange Christmas cards. Her family thinks I shouldn't phone her right now although she is stable and in her own place, but a Christmas card was o.k.

I'm concerned. She was a godsend to me years ago and took me in during hard times, and is one of those people you feel close to despite rarely seeing each other. I guess maybe I'll just sit tight for now and say a prayer. I don't even know why I'm posting this, except that I don't think anybody else cares a whole heck of a lot. Thanks for reading.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I don't know about the vivid colours Uni. I wonder if it is a hallucination.

I wouldn't worry about what her family thinks Uni. Go with your gut instinct. Do they think you're a 'bad' influence? Or do they just want to protect her from the world, in hopes of preventing another episode? (We know how well that works).

I have a couple of friends that I can not see or talk to in a long time and we pick up where we left off. They are precious to me.

A Christmas card is a knock at the door. You could see if she responds to that. You could also talk to her and just tell her honestly how you're feeling. Sometimes telling people that we care is a good start.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Uni,

About the vivid colours, I had been severely depressed for some time and when I went on Zyprexa, an anti psychotic, for a couple of days objects had extremely vivid colours. I guess this would be the reverse of your friend. I also seem to remember someone else on the forum mentioning vivid colours preceding an episode as well. Everyone is so different aren't they?

I feel that if this is a friend that helped you a great deal in the past when things were not going so well for you that she might be more open to your help knowing that you have a better understanding of what she is going through. I understand your frustration with the people surrounding your friend; most people will just never get it in regards to mental illness.

I'll have both of you in my thoughts.

Comment

Last time I had a flu bug and took some gravol along with my zopiclone and welbutrin and had hallucinations. vivid colors and varying shapes. Very beautiful I must say was not really all that bad. Only when I laid down at night.....Which reminds me of another weird thing happening. I cannot sleep on my right side because I have nightmares. Sleeping on my left side I don't have them...I am wondering if anyone else has this strange thing...
        To the world you may be one person...but to one person you are the world.

Comment

I like what you said AJ about a Christmas card being a knock on the door. My friend's birthday is in March, and I think I'll wait until then, give another knock on her door and see what happens.

Hearing everyone's comments about the vivid colours tells me that they could be caused by who knows what? I guess it doesn't matter - I just like to know why stuff happens.

Danming, now if I have a bad dream I will be noting which side I was sleeping on!
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

U ni, I think that is a good idea about your friends birthday. Hope you can reconnect.

On the subject of dreams, I never used to remember my dreams but when I first started on Lamactil I was remembering on average 3 dreams a night, some good some bad.

Lately though I've only been remembering approx 1 dream a week and they all seem to be nightmares. I'm worried that I am a negative person. Maybe I just remember nightmares because they are so vivid. what do you guys think.

Comment

Although I have not experienced it myself, it is not the first time that I hear of vivid colours but in the specific cases that I am thinking of, they had emerged from a prolonged depressed stage. Without talking to her, it would be hard to gauge.

If a Xmas card is OK ... then so a kind word to find out how she is doing would be OK too ... well in my book anyways.
              Woody

Comment

My nightmares are very real, rather than vivid. The colour is usually dark to black since most of nightmares are about things that happen at night.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I would also say my nightmares are real and not vivid. sometimes I think they're more real than the day-to-day I go through!
                  Anne.

Comment

Working...
                  X