Sweet-toothed children 'may have depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet-toothed children 'may have depression

The BBC has this article about Children and how some relations have been found between the consumption of sweets and depression. Read more here.
    Woody

Interesting news item Woody.

For me, I crave chocolate when I fall out of love. So it's lots of chocolate and getting my hair done.

Comment

Hello Woody. Interesting article. Although it had more if, buts, mights and maybes than a gov't report. The one part I found odd was that they "asked 300 children aged five to 12, of whom half had a family member with alcohol dependency"

How do they know that 150 kids (age 5-12) have an acoholic in the family, does the teacher poll them each individually and what does a 5 yr old say.

Anyways Woody I am glad that you posted the article. I might not agree with it, but that's ok too. It's always important to learn what research is going on and to be honest the whole research project probably covered much more than the news ever reports. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Ice Cream Ice Cream we all scream for ICE CREAM!
        Guess what my sweet spot is

I have no clue how they find these people Paul. Add in the paper or maybe trolling the AA meeting? I wish in these reports they would have some kind of link to the original study so that you could see the methodology they use and judge for yourself the validity.

Woody

Comment

, That was good Woody. As I read the article I had these thoughts.

I grew up in a poor rural community.I didn't know we were that poor as most everybody else was just like I was. But I can tell you this.

When I was in my lower grades if sweets had been given out as a reward for anything, school would have been called off while we all battled for the sweets.

True story this. Yrs ago when every company had to come up a child proof cap they got kids to try and open them. If they couldn't then the cap passed. Leap ahead a number of yrs and a consumer product company tried filling the child proof bottles with smarties. Nearly every cap failed to keep the kid out and usually failed within 60 sec's. I don't know how much they changed but I tried my meds bottles with my 9 yr old nephew and he didn't take very long to get the smarties. Kids can be clever. Take Care. paul m
          Helen Keller

Comment

That they can be ...

What is that saying ... build a better lock and you build a better thief? Not saying that all kids are thief but with the proper motivation, just about anything is possible.
            Woody

Comment

Hello Leila63. I understand the chocolate, but why getting your hair done. Just curious, as a guy I was more likely to let mine grow and get greasy when I was jilted. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Chocolate crackles IN ice cream . Eat the crackles, forget the ice cream .
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I got a call back from my GP and she wants me to get my sugar levels check again... Seems the last time, they were a bit on the high side
                  Woody

Comment

Hopefully Woody your blood sugars are ok. Do some psych drugs affect blood levels even without significant weight gain? Hope you gp has some good news for you after a blood test.

Paul, getting your hair done is just something girls do after a relationship ends. Something I also do after a depressive episode. It is just symbolic of a new start. If you are really serious about making a big change, you don't stop at a cut, you go for a new colour too.
                    Last edited by leila63; February 13, 2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Hello Woody. I hope that it turns out well. Take Care. paul m

Hello Leila63. Thx for the reply. It may have seemed like a bit of a dumb question, but when I was young I did not notice what women did with their hair. My wife only had her hair styled just before our wedding, other than that she has never had it coloured or been to a stylist. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Seroquel can cause high sugar levels in some patients. There is actually a lawsuit regarding this in the US.

As fare as I know Divalproex or Methoprazine do not affect the sugar levels.

Because I have been without a GP for so long, I have very little history as fare as what is normal for me. 5~10 years ago, sugar levels where never a problem before.

Woody

Comment

Let us know how you make out with your blood glucose test Woody. Are they doing a random? Fasting? Glucose tolerance test?
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I believe she said on the phone I had to do the fasting test again
                            Woody

Comment

Good Luck with the test Woody. Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X