family histories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

family histories

Recently, I had the most unusual experience in discovering medical records in a family member's war service from WW1. This can be a fascinating historical exercise, but for me, there are some trends uncovered which may continue today in myself and my family.

The individual was a great uncle who left no descendants. His diagnosis at the time was dementia praecox, an obsolete term today, replaced by schizophrenia. This may not be applicable in my case, however, I recognize the symptoms in my brother who also has struggled with depression in his life, likely far more severe than I have. More closely related are the observations of physical symptoms and personality traits that I share and observed as well in my father. There even was a description of being a nervous individual, which fits not only myself and my father, but also my great grandfather according to the account my great uncle gave to the doctors which treated him. Much like I have today, symptoms like various pains have no detectable cause, yet they cause considerable concern in the individual, to the point of accelerating depression. It becomes somewhat weary to constantly describe these concerns only to have them dismissed. To discover some hereditary connection possibly validates the symptom, but it still does not offer relief. Perhaps it is not all just in my head?

I suspect our genetic makeup can play a great role in our mental health. Much of our family histories will contain at least one story of that crazy aunt or uncle, yet we can see the trait in ourselves and our children. My great uncle resumed a civilian life, even served as a government official after his military service, but was reportedly "shell shocked" for the rest of his life. I met him only once and I recall him in terms that would coincide with the observations made by those military doctors. Perhaps this helps me

Funny thing I just watch on CNN about global epidemiology and the flue, Ebola, and zika, it is crazy what we face everyday. There are many mentally illnesses that are now known to be genetic. Personally from a scientific standpoint both genetics and environments play a huge role in our outcome. There is hope for many thing if we as people don't stand in the way, for fear of losing our way. Pioneering science is at our door steps right now called [ crispr dna editing ]. in less than 4 years they will be able to switch out or switch on DNA sequences that cause mental health. They have developed pre-treatment already for schizophrenia, bipolar, dementia, Parkinson, and I believe ALS.

They will be able to switch the DNA coding in the fetus within two week of conception. It doesn't help people like me you or my son but there is hope coming. The problem is it directly leads to perfection in cloning. So the argument continues and will for as long as we inhabit this planet. I work in the Taxonomic of aquatic insect and i see genetics as more than 99% of their make up, to expect it to be different for us I think we would be fooling ourselves. But all these illness do skip over people as it is passed down. Yes my brother and sister both have very mild symptoms of personality disorders I see in them but they don't. I got it all what ever God could give me I got; bipolar, ADHA, OCPD,OCD,GAD,MAD, copping with one is hard enough but I have all though's and I am the only one in the family. I am blessed as mine work together like a special team to do great things but at a huge personal cost. I live for, and was created for the [conception of creative evolution] to do thing that make others feel good and to help improve our planets conditions. I was born with a super brain clocking out at 183 when I was 7. I can just do it I can't explain why I can do it, but i can. I have the this strange golden touch. So is being mentally ill abnormal I think the answer is NO. So the bottom line just causes it there doesn't you will get it or how bad you will get it. Just keep doing what your doing staying on top of it and most importantly being aware.

Everyday I work on trying to modify my behaviors. For example 2 weeks ago in this forum I would not allow myself to leave a (i) un-capitalized or a sentence to begin without a capital. I am trying to let go of the ODC and OCPD control over my life and I am trying not to come back an edit the crap out of what i wrote. In my science papers perfection is a must here I need to let go and chill out.

Buddy Mack.
    "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

I want to edit that post Sooooooooooooo bad but I need to learn to let go. LOL
      "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

Well done Buddy Mack! There is no need for editing here. I know what you mean though. As a teacher I had to learn to use photocopies for my students that didn't come out perfect. It was simply too expensive to redo them straighter, darker, smaller, bigger, what have you. It killed me at first but then I got used to it. Freedom!

Comment

Hello Fighting back. There is no doubt in many researchers minds that genetics can play a large role in our own mental illness(es) . If I had known my family history I would have been properly diagnosed much sooner (hopefully) than I was. However like many families, mine hide anything to do with a mental illness. I have since found out that there was a long family history of bipolar.

Of course these days I sometimes see the opposite happen, a person has a family history of bipolar and some doctor jumps to the conclusion that the person must have bipolar rather than do a full diagnostic work up and make sure that is what the person has. While there often is a genetic link involved with a mental illness ,even identical twins, with identical genetics, don't always both get bipolar of schizophrenia or whatever. So researchers are still in the dark about why some of us have a mental illness and others in the family don't. (like why I am the only one of 6 siblings that displays even a trace of bipolar)

However with an illness that is 100% caused by genetics, such as Cystic Fibrosis or Huntington's Disease identical twins will both be 100% guaranteed to get the same illness.

It must have been fascinating reading about those events of long ago. I doubt if the symptoms are all in your head, the one thing that is clear about mental illnesses is that one person may suffer almost identical symptoms as the next person, but the severity of those symptoms may be much different. Or conversely, as has happened in my family across three generations, we have the same illness, but very few symptoms in common. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

I only know a little bit of family history on my father's side of the family and none on my mother's. As Paul has said, things are often hush hush when it comes to mental illness.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Neli its one of those ..."it hurts so good".... moments....I did i left it alone..

Comment

It occurred to me that I should share the resource. It is a very easy to use tool and the searches come back with clear results.
                http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...l-records.aspx

This only covers records for WW1 vets. Privacy legislation will likely prevent later records from being released.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It was quite a shock when I first read the details of my great uncle's affliction as I had no idea of the frank discussion of his hallucinations. He had served with the infantry, manning a mortar in the trenches. Warfare broke many people, but in this case, he was found to be predisposed due to the death of his mother and sisters during the 1904 influenza epidemic. The candid discussion and compassionate treatment he received was quite reassuring. We have a small box of momento's from his service which now bring increased meaning. Most valuable is the insight gained.

By they way Stenacron Man, I too must edit my posts, usually in response to the dreaded autocorrect that garbles my intent. I look at it as my own statement of rebellion against the machine!
                Last edited by Fighting back; April 20, 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Hello Fighting back. Thx for the link. I don't have the time right now to do the research, but I did know a few WW1 vets and had a few ancestors involved. I will save the link until I have more time and use it then. Take Care. paul m
                  "Alone we can do so little;
                  Together we can do so much"
                  Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                  X