Think my 11 year old niece is dealing with anxiety and eating disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think my 11 year old niece is dealing with anxiety and eating disorder

My 11 year old niece for sure has some anxiety,ive seen it and my sister sees it but I'm seeing red flags and signs of an eating disorder,and my sister refuses to acknowledge the possibility of an ED,but sees some anxiety. My niece who very slender,she told my sister not to let her get fat,at low end or just below on weight chart,she complains of weakness,tummy pain,avoids school,avoids people,sometimes she bids when my daughter and I come over,cries over minor issues,has a perfectionist type personality. My sister is so sure there has got to be something physically wrong,that there is no way anxiety would cause her to feel so bad she spends hours in bed,or feels bad when there is no school or on weekends. She will not see anxiety could be causing her daughter more trouble then what she's willing to see. She thinks her doctors are nuts and not looking for the answer. And its gotten to the point if I say something of a different opinion then my sister,I feel she's attacking me back with her opinion.Her daughter is supposed to start group councilling,but she may refuse because the mother said she can't attend inside where the meeting actually is. I really don't know what I can do to help. My help,concern,comments are not heard,I'm just another idiot trying to give her info which she doesn't care for. Any opinions for me. I hate that I feel like my hands are tied as my niece suffers.

Hello Snowflake and welcome. Unfortunately your hands seem to be tied. You can try and learn as much as possible about your nieces disorders and let her know that you are there for her and that you will be non judgmental with her if she wants to ask you any questions. Somebody else may here may have better advice. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums Snowflake.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Snowflake, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your niece is dealing with such issues. As an aunt many times over, I know how hard it can be to see a niece or nephew suffer when a parent seems to not "get" what's going on. Sometimes our helpfulness is interpreted as interference. I'll venture to say that even though it appears your concerns aren't being heard, perhaps they are, at some level.
        Completely apart from how your sister sees things, are you able to let your niece know she is loved and valued by you? To hear that message from even one adult makes a difference to a child and how they look at themselves. Just a suggestion.
        Did the group counselling work out at all?
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
        X