Senior Father anxiety episode during COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senior Father anxiety episode during COVID-19

We are in the COVID-19 self-isolation and my senior father is having an episode of anxiety depression. He lives alone and suddenly is mentally not able to do anything. I decided to stay with him to help. I took him to his doctor and one of the medications was increased, but so far it hasn't helped. Until now he has been completely independent without a problem. We think it was triggered by the COVID-19 news, it seemingly developed over a few days. Basically anything I try to do is met with constant "I can't do it", physically he seems capable. So getting him to eat something seems impossible. He does say he is hungry, but he can't eat..so food is barely touched. He is convinced he is out of it and not going to make it. Something similar happened ten years ago and it took hospitalization for him to be treated, but getting the help took time. I'm not sure what to do, especially during this COVID-19.

Welcome to the forum oked. Does your father have a psychiatrist? Many of the psychiatrists are available by phone rather than office app. since the pandemic started. It's not ideal, but an option.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ, So far we only consulted his md. We are looking for the psychiatrist that treated him 10 years ago, hopefully, we can get that info through his current doctor. If needed we'll seek out another psychiatrist.

Comment

A request from your father’s family doctor to the psychiatrist that treated him is probably the best way to get those records. A reassessment is a good place to start.

Keep us posted on how things are going.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello oked and welcome. Sorry to hear about your father. Your GP may be able to get him in to see a psychiatrist on an emergency basis. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Hello and welcome oked. My heart goes out to you in the situation with your father. Psychiatric care and meds are one direction to pursue; another direction is psychological counseling. I don't know where you live, but in my region all the mental health counselors are working over the telephone. Might this be an option? Certain elements of depression and anxiety respond very well to talk therapy.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Update - We tried for a few weeks at home with a few modifications to his prescription, there was no improvement. We coordinated with his previous psychiatrist to get him into the local psychiatric hospital, he was again diagnosed with severe depression with psychosis. I think initially they continued with medication adjustments for a few weeks without much improvement. ECT was the next possible treatment, which is what helped him the last time. Due to the COVID-19, it took a few weeks for the ECT to become available in the medical hospital. He is now near halfway through ECT treatments and seems to be calmer and becoming more functional. When I talk to him on the phone he does seem confused with minor short term memory loss, but I think that is a side effect of the ECT treatments. If hospital COVID-19 restrictions ease up he might start coming home on weekends until he can be released. Thank you for your support!

Comment

Hello oked. Thanks for posting the update. I'm glad to hear that your father is starting to feel better.

It sounds like a lot has happened in the last couple of months. I know it's a long road.

I'm glad you were able to connect with his previous psychiatrist. Medications don't always do enough, and ECT can sometimes do what the meds cannot. I hope your stress is somewhat less, knowing your father's health has been improving.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by oked View Post
                  We are in the COVID-19 self-isolation and my senior father is having an episode of anxiety depression. He lives alone and suddenly is mentally not able to do anything. I decided to stay with him to help. I took him to his doctor and one of the medications was increased, but so far it hasn't helped. Until now he has been completely independent without a problem. We think it was triggered by the COVID-19 news, it seemingly developed over a few days. Basically anything I try to do is met with constant "I can't do it", physically he seems capable. So getting him to eat something seems impossible. He does say he is hungry, but he can't eat..so food is barely touched. He is convinced he is out of it and not going to make it. Something similar happened ten years ago and it took hospitalization for him to be treated, but getting the help took time. I'm not sure what to do, especially during this COVID-19.
                  You can do (almost) anything you put your mind to. Just believe you can do it and work on doing these things.

Comment

Maybe it's not because of the virus. This happens when people have severe emotional and physical exhaustion (it may be unnoticeable). Tell him to take a coronavirus test. So he and you will be able to understand whether he is ill or not. About three months ago, I had similar problems, so I ordered a coronavirus test on confirmbiosciences.com. When I took the test, the result was negative. Then I went to the doctor, and he said that my body is exhausted, and I need to take a break from work for at least a week. After a week off, my old habits returned, and everything was fine.
                    Last edited by Erpyria; May 21, 2021, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Oked i am so glad that the ECT treatment was helpful.

Mocha231

Comment

My dad has dealt with a similar issue during the pandemic. We got him to a psychologist. The psychologist told us to visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible. His mental breakdown didn't end well. Every doctor that we consulted told him to retire from his job as he wouldn't typically work. It was a piece of terrible news for him, as his job was the second most crucial thing after our family. My mom and I had to browse every article on seekingretirement.com. My dad has retired for more than one year, and he is doing ok, and even his psychological situation is better.
                        Last edited by OfericSchim; October 25, 2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X