Help for My son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kzam,

I'm sorry you're going through this with your son. My parents went through so much pain watching me struggle with school and depression.

I had a very, very rough time through post-secondary. My first year was a complete failure, and I got through the second by studying part-time. If it weren't for my documented mental illness and all the support I needed initially, the school would have turned me out really fast.

OSAP is usually pretty good to deal with. I'm going to tell you a few things your son can look into, or that you can look in to if he's willing to sign off on giving you permission to deal with it on his behalf.

There's a loan forgiveness program for students with disabilities. Seriously, consider this one. The catch is that your son would have to seek out a diagnosis and get treatment for his mental illness. OSAP is really good to deal with. They can offer all kinds of assistance aside from the loan forgiveness. Interest relief, deferred payment, and reduced payments can be negotiated if you talk to them.

So - I highly encourage you to get your son, or you to contact OSAP as soon as possible to talk about the options. They won't come out and let you know about the loan forgiveness program but will tell you all about it if you ask. And, of course, get some help for the depression. You'll need help and support so you can be there for him too.

Comment

Working...
    X