Impossible to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to stop

A quote I found on another website: "It is impossible to stop a motivated person who refuses to give up practicing." It's meant to encourage healthy practices, but it strikes me that it could also refer to negative behaviours. I'm going with the positive idea....
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

It is not impossible to stop a motivated person who refuses to give up practicing... try giving them DEPRESSION!!! Then we'll see how long they are motivated for

Comment

Hello Uni. Interesting quote. They should have talked to a few of my hockey coaches. I was pretty motivated and I had a great attitude, but no matter how much I practiced I was still a lousy hockey player.

However I do understand what the quote is getting at and healthy practices are always good. In fact often the biggest problem with a mental illness is that it robs us of the ability to have a healthy attitude. I know that even with a lot of practice, it's much easier for me to allow myself to have a negative attitude than a positive one when depression starts to get a grip on me.

I also know that if I can somehow remain positive it is easier for me to regain my wellnes.(but it's not always easy)

Of course my basic philosphy on quotes is as follows. "He who hesitates is lost" and " look before you leap" are both wise, but contradictory quotes. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Astronaut, I see your point. What a powerful illness this is!

Because I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, I feel stirrings of motivation, enough to "practice" some small things. But when I'm hopelessly depressed, then nothing motivates me to practice anything or care about anything, period.

Today's update: I've practiced getting out of my bed, taking my pills, and sitting at the SAD light. Oh, and making a phone call (no small potatoes). So what if I'm still in my PJ's at 4 pm

Paul, I love those contradictory quotes. How about this: "absence makes the heart grow fonder" or "out of sight, out of mind"?
        Last edited by uni; October 17, 2012, 05:59 PM. Reason: conquotes
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Once upon a ime I had a big list of contradictory quotes, but I couldn't find thedm. However I did come accross a couple of quotes by a person who used to post under the name of "Rogue" .

"I don't mind learning from other peoples misstakes"

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow"

I thought they were pretty funny. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Love 'em!
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
            X