Something I hold close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I hold close

I have likely been living with depression (type I bi-polar) for many years, possibly 2 or more decades. And more recently with melancholic depression. Also PTSD from military service, which my doctor thinks masked my depression for many, many years. I often thought about ending my pain, and I would reflect on these words:

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it got me away from the edge of the abyss on more than one occasion. When I would look back on my life, I would realize, if only for a moment, that I was not as worthless as I felt. That I had succeeded, in some small way. Even today, as I write this, I struggle to remind myself that the darkness is encroaching and I need to check my tether to reality; not as the abyss wants me to see it, a failure in everything, but as somebody who has touched many lives in a positive way. Perhaps these words can help others, as they have helped me.

Thanks for sharing this Melancholy Man.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for the quote, Melancholy Man. I can see why it has been instrumental in keeping you alive. It strikes me as kind of an antidote to the worthlessness depression is known for.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

love the quote. We have all succeeded according to it.

Comment

Working...
        X