Old standards and other phrases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old standards and other phrases

There is something to be said for the old standard inspirational phrase "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". It has helped me from time to time.

I would really like to hear any other phrases that people use for inspiration, whether they be old standards or not. Sometimes a few words work better than a long paragraph.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

"Life happens, just as you make other plans".

(Don't know the author)
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Uni. I think we had this conversation several yrs ago, but it was a good one then so I'm glad that you brought it up again. (Or maybe it was with Woody, time blends my memories).

Being a bit of a cynic, I generally dislike it when people tell me inspirational phrases. That however is much different than someone quotes there own favourite inspirational phrase as you and AJ have done.

One of my favourites came from from Judy Garland: " Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Paul, I do remember that you're not big on quotes and things. I agree that it's nice to know which ones work for people personally. I didn't know about the Judy Garland one; I like it

I've heard the "life happens" before and really like it too. I have heard it attributed to John Lennon. I googled it just now and found out he did use it in one of his songs, but it had previously been published in the Reader's Digest by somebody else. Who knows. Wikipedia changes sometimes.

There's something I find helpful thanks to an old (well, young at that time) boyfriend. When I'd get wound up about something, he'd say "shhhh..." in a soft voice and I would calm right down. So I use it on myself sometimes and it always works. I don't even know if he's still alive, but the good memories are
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Thomas Edison who invented the phonograph and the first motion picture apparatus and had well over a 1000 patents in his name, once said " I have not failed, I have just tried 10,000 ways that didn't work" . Sort of reminds me of bipolar at times.

Actually Mr Edison , who wasn't always a nice guy, especially when it came to competitors, was himself a very hard working person. He also had a lot of good quotes. For more quotes by him, https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...homas_A_Edison I don't agree with all of his quotes, but a lot are pretty interesting. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
          X