Wishfull Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishfull Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Hello Everyone. Hello Everyone. I just finished Carrie Fisher's( star wars fame) latest book Wishfull Drinking. I cannot say that is was a great book, but when she talks about her battle with bipolar I sure said "you've got that right" a lot. Unlike some celebrities who gloss over the painfull parts she doesn't. I really enjoyed some of her comments

At the end of the book she ends this way.

"One of the things that baffles me is how there can be so much lingering stigma to mental illness , specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. At times being bipolar can be an all consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage,so if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of." Carrie Fisher

The book is worth the read. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher. ISBN 978-1-4391-5371-0 Simon and Schuster Paperbacks. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Originally posted by Carrie Fisher
    One of the things that baffles me is how there can be so much lingering stigma to mental illness , specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. At times being bipolar can be an all consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage,so if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of."
    Could not be more true
    Woody

Comment

Hello All. Carrie Fisher is interviewed in the winter issue of bipolar mag. .In the interview she states that she uses ECT's (once upon a time known as electric shook) as a maintance treatment for her bipolar, along with vitamins, exercise,diet and medicine.

I am familiar with ect's but I have not heard of their modern day use as a maintance treatment. She does not say how often she has one done, but implies as needed. She claims they do not inhibit her ability to perform.

I have never had ects and I found this part of the interview interesting. Take Care. paul m
      Helen Keller

Comment

I have not had it done Paul. I have spoken to someone who had it done recently, but it was not done as maintenance, there situation was dire. They claim it is better than what it was like in the 60~70. But they still experienced some short term memory loss not to mention aches and pains.
        Woody

Comment

Is that the name of the magazine Paul? Bipolar Magazine?
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. The title on the cover of the magazine is bp CANADA . The web address is www.bphope.ca and when you call it up it reads as Bipolar Magazine at the top.

This magazine is part of bipolarhope.com(as opposed to .ca here)in the USA .

To find it www.bphope.ca. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
              Hello All. Carrie Fisher is interviewed in the winter issue of bipolar mag. .In the interview she states that she uses ECT's (once upon a time known as electric shook) as a maintance treatment for her bipolar, along with vitamins, exercise,diet and medicine.

I am familiar with ect's but I have not heard of their modern day use as a maintance treatment. She does not say how often she has one done, but implies as needed. She claims they do not inhibit her ability to perform.

I have never had ects and I found this part of the interview interesting. Take Care. paul m

Originally posted by Woody View Post
              I have not had it done Paul. I have spoken to someone who had it done recently, but it was not done as maintenance, there situation was dire. They claim it is better than what it was like in the 60~70. But they still experienced some short term memory loss not to mention aches and pains.

I hope I am not intruding into the conversation, guys, but I know a small bit about this.

I have never had ECT (or insulin shock for that matter) done to myself but I personally know a couple handfuls of people who have--like my present immediate neighbour, a past girlfriend's father, etc. In every case, either the person, his or her family, or both have suffered greatly because of ECT. For example, my ex-gf's father lost all memories of his two oldest children and it is unknown if/when he might get them back.

There are two very serious opposing sides concerning ECT. If you or anyone you know are considering it, please do some research for yourself and talk to people (and their families) who have had it. A fairly balanced place to start looking is here:

I hope this helps,
              bb

Comment

Hello BB. Your not intruding and thx for the link. I have known a number of people who have had ECT's done. My own opinion is that it is a treatment of last resort. However once it works for someone, then that is their choice whether they continue the ECT's.

I must have meet 40+ people who have had it done and it certainly scrabbles the memory for some in the short term. Hint given to me by several, read a new book by your favourite author before you start a series of ECTs, you'll be able to re-read him again after.

I know most docs in this area are only reccomending it for people with unipolar depression(no bipolar) and only after trying a wide range of meds. I won't say some of the old fossils won't try and give it to just about anyone, but not too many use it as an early choice anymore. Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                X