Words from Carrie Fisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words from Carrie Fisher

Sorry, I can't get the link to post. Anyway, Carrie Fisher was somebody I admired for her candor and strength in dealing with mental illness. If I can figure out how to come up with a link I'll post it. Try this: http://ew.com/news/2016/12/28/carrie...mental-health/
    Last edited by uni; January 1, 2017, 03:57 PM. Reason: Link
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hello Uni. I liked the link. I liked Carrie Fisher more than most celebs that come out and talk about bipolar for many reasons. She was honest about successes and repeated failures. She talked openly about the strength that it sometimes takes even to survive one day. While she wrote many books, she spoke freely and openly about her illness even when she didn't have a book to sell. She often gave interviews and talks for FREE about bipolar, mental illness in general and the stigma's attached. I could name some well known celebs who won't open their mouth unless $5,000 is paid(plus expenses) or they have a book for sale or both.

Lastly , but most importantly(in my mind) she wasn't a me person. She acknowledged that she had an illness that was horrible but that others had helped her and that others had suffered because of her illness.

For as long time I could only see the damage that had been done to me by my illness. Others suffered greatly because of my illness, but I didn't consider that for a many years. While it wasn't my fault that they suffered, it sure as heck wasn't their fault either. Carrie helped me to see that mental illness is a cruel illness that affects not just the person, but also those around them.

Her death was a great loss to the mental health community. Take Care. paul m

P.S. any one who hasn't clicked on the link should consider doing so as well google some of Carrie's article in BP news and other magazines or papers. If you can get your hands on the book "wishful drinking" do so.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Paul and Uni. Its been a while since I have posted anything. I found this forum several years ago after my initial crisis and first impatient hospitalization in March 2009.

After 3 years and several sick leaves from my sales job I was able to start working in mental health and doing my best to learn how to be more well, more often and help others to do the same.

It would be nice to not become anxious or depressed ever again but I am not sure that is possible. I just endured my first S.A.D. depressive episode for 2017 and just bought my first S.A.D. light

I also wanted to share these resources with others using the forum

Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) is a wellness tool anyone can use to get well, stay well, and make their life more the way they want it to be.

All the best to you both, and Ted and AJ

dave

Comment

Thanks Dave and thanks for posting the links to those resources.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X