To be cruel only to be kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be cruel only to be kind

Society was and will always be a challenge for me and for any individual struggling with mental health issues ..
    Denial .. disapproval .. shaming .. bullying .. alienation .. rejection .. etc

In brief .. It's called MENTAL HEALTH STIGMA .. or M.H.S

I know that a lot has been said and done to fight Mental Health Stigma .. I don't want to repeat anything we already know .
    What I want to talk about here is looking at M.H.S from a different point of view .. a different aspect .. a different perspective ..
    I believe blaming the society is not enough to help fighting M.H.S ..
    I believe WE .. and by saying WE I mean people with mental health challenges .. WE are responsible too .. and I won't be surprised if many readers and members would disagree with me .. but nevertheless .. I have to say it .. as Hamlet said : " I have to be cruel only to be kind " .. yes sometimes we all have to be cruel to be kind .. and I'd rather be hurt by the truth than to be comforted by a lie ..
    I'm not talking about raising funds .. I'm not talking about teaching and education .. I'm talking about self improvement and self awareness .. and to be more specific : to stop using Our mental health issue as an excuse for poor behavior and bad attitude .. and I do believe that many people with mental issues do use their illness as an excuse to be Selfish , Indifferent , Lazy , Fussy, Inconsiderate and Abusive .. and I'm talking about my personal experiences with individuals who struggle with mental issues .. one of them is my son .. and I don't think he's an exception .. it can happen everywhere everyday with everybody .. and it might be happening right now to somebody else ..

Mental illness is NOT an excuse to be selfish .. And I'm not excluding myself .. I've been selfish so many times in my life .. I hurt people feelings .. I made them cry .. I made them feel scared of me .. yes it's my health issues .. my mood swings .. and I wasn't diagnosed .. I wasn't receiving help .. but as soon as I did knew what's wrong with me I started working on it .. and I learned a lot from other people's experiences and stories ..

My personal divorce story involved a lot of lessons .. and better late than never .. I knew I had mental illness and I can't only blame my ex .. but I was misdiagnosed .. and I did things I wasn't supposed to do .. a lot of bad things happened and many of them could have been avoided if I learned how to deal with them the way I do today ..

I believe struggling with bipolar disorder or any mental illness shouldn't stop us from being liked by others .. and I'm proud to say that I proved it to be true .. or at least let's say I learned to give myself breaks to isolate myself when I'm not in a good mood for social activities .. and everybody can find his or her own way to avoid annoying others or hurting them .. if you don't like loud music then just don't attend activities where loud music is possible .. simply because you have no right to ask people to follow your special rules within your personal comfort zone .. if you don't like tapping sounds then just avoid places where people can't help but causing tapping sounds .. if you have allergy to perfumes that doesn't give you the right to ban it wherever you go .. and so on ..

As mentioned above .. you have the right to disagree with me .. but I have the right to express myself and tell my points of view .. because I do believe that things I'm talking about are very important .. it is an important issue .. and I do believe that many people experience it and already know about it .. but they just simply condone it ..
    We do need to discuss it .. we need to be nice and to be liked .. and in order to fight M.H.S we need to be socially welcome .. that's the only way to make others listen to us and understand our special needs .. people are not always smart .. and they're not ready to listen unless they want to listen to you because they like you .. and being selfish and self centered will only make them dislike you and avoid you .. and less willing to listen to you .. and if someone is going to suffer the consequences then it's you .. us .. individuals who have mental issues .. and in order to be helped you need to learn how to help yourself ..
    Last edited by Jafar the wizard; September 6, 2021, 06:00 PM.

Jafar you have the right to express yourself but I do tend to disagree with this statement. Mental health issues can serve as a barrier in many peoples lives.

Mocha231

Comment

You have the right to disagree with me .. but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say ..
      Do you mean mental illness is a barrier and that means Mental Health Stigma is a fact that we cannot change ??

Comment

Hello Jafar. You have put forward some interesting opinions. I'm pressed for time right now, will try and post a longer response another day.
        Last edited by uni; September 16, 2021, 12:54 AM.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Sure Uni
          whenever you have time for this ..
          Thanks ..

Comment

Working...
          X