Desiderata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence . As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit . If you compare yourself with others you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery . But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism .

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and enchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in times of misfortune, but do not distress yourself with imaginings . Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness . Beyond a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you , no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you concieve him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

That is beautiful Uni

Very inspiring, thank-you for writing it and thank-you for sharing it.
    Take Care,
    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
    "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

You're welcome. It comes from a wall hanging I was given by a friend who knew I liked it. I also keep a copy on my locker at work. Many is the time a sentence or two has jumped out at me when I needed a reminder. Even kept me from crying on the job more than once. Works for me .
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I will print a copy and keep it close by to me too, I can see how it would be helpful when I was having a down mood. Thanks again.
        Take Care,
        Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
        "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Today I read part of it at work, especially the words "be yourself". I needed the reminder; I was getting tense and trying too hard to please others. After all, pobody's nerfect.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
          X