burdens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burdens

A speaker was explaining stress management to an audience. He raised a glass of water and asked "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g. The speaker replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it."

"If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem... If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

He continued, "and that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on. Just like it is with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again."

Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can.

Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

This is a really smart explanation - thanks for sharing it. It really makes a lot of sense.
    Stormy

Comment

Uni

Very nice Thanks for sharing that.

May I add that there are some burdens that we really shouldn't carry forever. So Why? Why pick them back up? We should only have to carry some... if any No matter how long we hold on to all of them, there are some that we need to recognize that we are just carrying extra baggage that does not need to be around any longer. Those ones we need to learn to let go of and leave them in the past.

Your quote Uni, made me think back to this one. This is not the exact on I was searched for, but this is the closest I found. Still says the basic same. Author Unknown.

"A Professor stood before his philosophy class with some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the Professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The Professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous “Yes.”

The Professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

“Now,” said the Professor, as the laughter subsided, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things – your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favourite passions – things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house,your car.

The sand is everything else – the small stuff.”

“If you put the sand into the jar first”, he continued, “there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to look after your health. Take care of your partner. There will always be time to clean the house, and fix the drains. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities.The rest is just sand.”

When he had finished, there was a profound silence. Then one of the students raised her hand and with a puzzled expression, inquired what the coffee represented.

The Professor smiled. “I’m glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a cup of coffee with friends.”

Joanne

Comment

I like it ! How easy it is to lose that perspective. This is a good reminder; thank you.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
        X