Hello, My first day here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Hello, My first day here

So I've been battling social anxiety and a general anxiety disorder with depression and ADD most of my adult life and while I was always aware that something more was going on with me than was apparent on the surface, I was diagnosed with my conditions in stages- first anxiety attacks after my father died when I was 18, then the ADD was finally diagnosed at age 28, although I had been living with it my whole life without realizing what it was, then depression, and then finally the social anxiety and anxiety disorder most recently. I just ended up quitting my job the other day since I was on the verge of losing it anyways for anxiety-related absences and I guess I decided for some reason that it was better for me to walk away on my terms than to be thrown out on their terms- the strange thing is that although I have no jobs lined up right now, no money and an inordinate amount of debt, I feel either good about my decision or at least I feel numb to the negative effects of my choice. Does this seem like complete denial or does it sound like to anyone other than me that I have made a positive step in walking away from a job that was making my anxiety far worse than it had been before?

PS: The job in question was in a call centering doing customer service (sort of, I can't really discuss details due to an NDA I signed when I started working there).

Hello RainyDayGuy, and welcome! Thanks for posting. I'm glad you found this forum, it can be a big help just to connect with other people who "get" what's going on regarding mood disorders. ADD and anxiety, although technically not mood disorders, sometimes go hand in hand with depression or bipolar disorder.

I can't speak to having ADD, but I'm familiar with anxiety and can relate somewhat to your situation. I had trouble with anxiety on the job too, but unlike yourself the worst of it came when I neared retirement after many years at the same job, so I stuck it out. For me, that was the thing I felt was best. For you, it sounds like the thing you've felt is best is to quit your job without feeling super upset about it. You ask if how you're feeling might be denial. Maybe only time will tell. Or whether it's been a positive step to take. Maybe it's one or the other, maybe a bit of both, maybe it doesn't matter. I figure people make the best decisions possible given what they know and how they feel at the time. So you made the best decision possible given what you knew and how you felt. No right, no wrong. Now you get to carry on under new circumstances, and see where the journey takes you.

P.S. - I've always had the idea that working in a call center would really test a person's patience. Especially if they got customers like me Lol.

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum RainyDayGuy. Feel free to share as little or as much of yourself as your're comfortable with. You'll find the people on this forum very supportive.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
      X