Thoughts on moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on moving...

I haven't moved in 30 years. Wow can you collect a lot of stuff in that amount of time! It made me realize how many 'things' I have that I don't need. While I don't have any desire to 'keep up with the neighbours', I certainly could live my life more simply. I'm not ready to give away all my worldly possessions and go live in the woods, but I can make life 'less cluttered'.

I love the great outdoors. I love to walk and hike, sit by the campfire, and just be outside. Walls and doors feel confining ( although great in bad weather). We moved to a small town
    (3700 people) about an hour out of the big city. I like hearing the crickets, and grasshoppers remind me of younger years in the prairies. Morning walks by the horse pastures, foxes and deer in the fields, birds of prey proudly overlooking their territory, and all manner of creatures big and small, greet us on our early morning walks.

We live at the end of town on 0.7 acres, which compared to city standards is huge. My dog Bella loves it out here! The previous owners did not keep up the house or yard. We had to clean the house from ceiling to floor, pay lots of $$ to service and fix things in the house, and it took me forever to fill 22 (yes that's 22) big Costco plastic leaf bags with weeds that looked more like bushes!

Everybody waves hello. There are a lot of smiles and life feels much less rushed. (Of course there's an active town gossip circle that I keep clear of).

I must say though, moving has been one of the most stressful things I've done in years. That in itself is a high risk adventure for any relationship! The movers were horrible. We still have a basement full of 'mystery boxes". The kettle is still missing, and I know I have another bottle of shampoo, somewhere. (1st world problems I know).

I hate being out of my 'safe, comfort place' called home. I had to be apart from my precious dog Bella while the fence was being built and the moving chaos was happening. I got a 6 foot wooden fence built that she can't climb, and deer are unlikely to try to jump over. The things we do for our escape artist dogs! It was good to have her back and get into the routine of morning walks again. Between Bella and our morning walks, I felt much more grounded.

I got very little sleep and irregular meals, which I had to stop doing promptly when I noticed a shift in my mood, for the worst. My Pdoc had to change my appt. day for much later, which was very bad timing.

I learnt a lot from this move. Mostly I learnt that I don't want to do another one anytime soon! I also learned the skill of walking away from what 'needs' to be done and taking a break to do simple things that bring me peace and joy.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Sounds like some good lessons learned in a little piece of paradise.
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Thanks AJ for the interesting and descriptive post! I admire your sense of adventure in moving from the city to a small town; it has to be quite an adjustment. I'm glad that all the stresses seem to be balanced out by the joys around you And it's good to hear that Bella has taken to it quite nicely also!
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

We do make trips to the city for some things you just can't get in a small town, but I'm always glad to get home. Now, if I could just master the John Deer tractor for mowing all that grass!
        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

You can do it! Nothing runs like a Deere! haha farmer joke or should I say 0.7 acre joke
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello AJ. In regards to the grass. It only grows so high and then it stops growing so why cut it LOL. Good luck with all the changes. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
              X