Canada DTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada DTC

Hi everyone! This is my first post. Let me thank you in advance for any insight. I suffer with depression, anxiety and undiagnosed PTSD and possibly bi-polar. My son also suffers from anxiety, depression, and has high functioning autism.

Recently I submitted for the DTC for my son and I plan on also submitting for myself as I am really not functioning at an acceptable level. As I know these forms are tricky to fill out I was wondering if any of you with these symptoms have applied and what was the outcome? Any suggestions for me?

TIA

Hello lbkiss. I have no experience with those forms etc. but do know what it's like to suffer from depression and some anxiety, and just want to say welcome to the forum.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello lbkiss and welcome to the forums. My advice is that of an amateur. I have no training in the medical field or in filling out the DTC form.

If you filled out a disability tax credit form , you know that it is very restrictive and not easy to get. First you have be severely disabled for an unforeseen time in the future, but lasting at least 12 mths.

Quoting directly from the form

"Mental functions necessary for everyday life – Medical doctor, nurse practitioner, or psychologist Your patient is considered markedly restricted in performing the mental functions necessary for everyday life (described below) if, even with appropriate therapy, medication, and devices (for example, memory aids and adaptive aids), they meet both of the following criteria: • They are unable or take an inordinate amount of time to perform these functions by themselves. • This is the case all or substantially all of the time (at least 90% of the time). Mental functions necessary for everyday life include: • adaptive functioning (for example, abilities related to self-care, health and safety, abilities to initiate and respond to social interactions, and common, simple transactions) • memory (for example, the ability to remember simple instructions, basic personal information such as name and address, or material of importance and interest) • problem-solving, goal-setting, and judgment taken together (for example, the ability to solve problems, set and keep goals, and make the appropriate decisions and judgments) Note A restriction in problem-solving, goal-setting, or judgment that markedly restricts adaptive functioning, all or substantially all of the time."

That includes being unable to function properly even with the use of meds and/or therapy.

Some people with bipolar qualify if they have to have someone oversee their daily actions. For example if when you are depressed you stop bathing or when manic you tend to wipe out your bank acct . Those are are two of many things that a person with bipolar may experience. Others include being unable to handle a bank acct by themselves, being unable to work because the depression forces you to stay in bed all day, being unable to concentrate well enough to pay your bills on time. Basically you have to pick apart just about everything in your life that you need help with or that is affecting your life.and takes longer than a person with no disabilities would take.

You could also create a list of problems that your anxieties cause. Also if the meds you take cause problems such as extreme sedation you can make a note of that. It will not hurt for you to give your doctor a separate copy of everything so that if the CRA asks him for more info, he will have it. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums Ibkiss.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you all!

Comment

I would reach out to the National Benefit Authority... They will do the leg work for you .. its for a fee but if may get you a larger monthly amount... which will work out in the long run... I used it for my son..

The National Benefit Authority is Canada's #1 Disability Tax Credit service provider, assisting over 40,000 Canadians with their claims!

Comment

Working...
            X