Taking inventory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking inventory

The last while I've been feeling fatigued from all this pandemic stuff, tired of too much of my own company, discouraged by physical aches and pains, concerned about finances, bored sometimes (unusual for me), still grieving my brother's death, worried about the future, uncertain about almost everything it seems. Those are my woes. I keep track of my moods and they've been a bit low (not too bad, but not all that good). Fear and anxiety want to creep in.

Having said all that, this morning I woke up with a better outlook. Sometimes that just happens for no apparent reason. But I can think of a couple of reasons as well. First, the sciatic pain I'm getting physio for is less at the moment. Second, I talked with a friend yesterday about how we've both been "taking inventory" of ourselves and our situations, and gaining insights. This is when I realized I'm missing some good old intellectual and meaningful conversation. I'm lacking that. I miss the coffee times with friends and family, and the time spent walking and talking together. There are several people in my world who are in their 70's and 80's, and some who are younger but physically vulnerable, so I'm distancing for the most part. There's a visit here and there, outside mostly, on lawn chairs, but the weather is cooling off and that requires re-thinking. Thankfully my 12-step group is meeting in person now, with protocols in place, and that helps. But things are just out of kilter and that's that.

I'm thinking about how to improve things. It starts with me. It starts with reminding myself what my true values are, and whether I'm living them. Some I am. Others I've forgotten about. I value my physical and mental health. I'm doing not too bad, but could step a couple of things up there. I value my spirituality, and need to listen more to that connection. I value my relationships, and am considering web meetings or something similar once the snow flies. One family member has a "wine night" over the web with friends and says it work s great. They meet on zoom and drink their wine at their respective homes, and have a few laughs. I hope to set up a "coffee date" with my siblings if they're willing to try it.

I have a list of values. A literal list. Safety and security are on there. Also fun and kindness and accomplishment and creativity and community and learning. There are more. I'm not aiming for perfection. I'm aiming to pay a little more attention to them in my daily life.

Writing this has helped my mental health, creativity, sense of accomplishment, relationships (I feel I have some here), and I've learned something too. I've learned a lot just by putting my thoughts out here where I can see them, and letting others see them, and hope that makes a difference somehow. So I feel happy about that, because in a small way I've lived a few of my values. The next thing is to see if I can find some way to have fun today. I have no idea what that will involve, but I'll think of something, even something small. Because l can use a laugh or two. And because I always get a charge out of this emoticon and like an excuse to use it

I hope you and I can find a laugh or a smile in something today
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Ok.Un. Here are a couple jokes, Take Care. paul m

i I had to see a psychiatrist recently after becoming obsessed with a specific shade of purple

Apparently I’m Plum Crazy.

2 He proudly wrote a notice on the blackboard in his classroom:

"Professor Jennings informs his students that he has been appointed honorary physician to His Majesty, King George."

When he returned to the class-room in the afternoon he found written below his notice this line:r>
    "God save the King."

3) A physician said, "You have High Blood Pressure"

"High blood pressure? Well Doc. It comes from my family."
    "Your mother's side or your father's?" The Doctor asked.
    "Neither," I replied. "It's from my wife's family."
    "How could your wife's family give you high blood pressure?"
    I sighed. "You oughta meet 'em sometime, Doc!"
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul, those are great! I'm chuckling here It's also funny because I'm currently watching a video series about the English royal family, so I can actually "see" King George in that joke. Assuming it's George VI. That scamp Edward, his brother, really pulled a fast one leaving all the work to George, in my opinion. I had an uncle born during Edward's short reign and his name was Edward. Just a random tidbit of little interest to anyone here lol
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My fun for the day was a 16 Km hike in the mountains. The fall colours are so beautiful.

"Taking inventory" is a very worthwhile endeavor Uni. I like to do it sometimes too.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

16kin the mountains -- wow! That sounds amazing!
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

And it really was all uphill on the way out!
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

AJ that's unreal, I don't know how you do it -- way to go!
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

The views were amazing!
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

You mentioned a lot of different things and subjects in your message. If you are bored, there is always new things you can learn and do. Life can be exciting simply because there is fun out there that is not sinning. Watching different kinds of movies is good, or reading a new book. I think you should read superheroes comics. They are fantastic.

Comment

Prycejosh1987 I'm not sure who the 'you' is in your post. In my own experience, making assumptions about how people are feeling, or what they are thinking, can mean losing the opportunity to interact with others in a more open way.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. I'm Glad that are enjoying the fall. Great picture. Take Care. paul m
                      "Alone we can do so little;
                      Together we can do so much"
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul. Apparently if you are to believe the forcast, we're in for a nice long fall and a yucky cold winter!
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

AJ, thanks for posting that beautiful picture! I can almost hear the water rushing!
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Prycejosh1987.
                            I agree that there are lots of ways to entertain yourself, like books and movies and many other things. I've been going onto youtube and finding different sorts of videos to watch. There is a lot of choice, and I have a bit of fun with that. As for books, I usually take them out of the library. Our local library has re-opened now and has a curbside service so I'll be checking into that. Regarding superhero comics, it's been many years since I've read one! I have a friend who may be able to lend me one or two. He's a collector, so I'd have to make sure he didn't give me anything valuable because I'd hate to wreck it!
                            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                            X