Trauma Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Trauma Forum?

Just wondering if there would be enough interest to support one? AJ suggested I poll people here, any feedback greatly appreciated
    “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Hello Paul57. That's a good question. I've met many people who deal with trauma. Whether some of them would come onto the forum here is hard to say. I think it's a good idea and would give people an option. The bigger question may be how to get people interested in the forum. That's my two cents.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the input, uni. Anyone else like to weigh in? Could post it in the appropriate social media groups...?
      “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

Perhaps a thread about trauma might also indicate interest.

Also the titles of the different sections of the forum are rather fluid. A thread on trauma is a topic that can be posted anywhere on the forum. We have no forum police blowing whistles.

(of course the forums are moderated.)
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ, took your advice. Not many responses, too bad. All I can find is Out of the Storm (https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php) and some Facebook groups that only consist of inspirational memes, etc. Nice for those who are helped by such things but not for me. Thanks for suggestions, take care

Comment

Hi Paul57. Do you have a councillor/ therapist? I saw a therapist for years who had a lot of experience dealing with trauma. I know that isn’t for everyone.

I wish I had a helpful suggestion in terms of a forum group.
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi AJ. I just finally got into counselling with a trauma informed counsellor for EMDR. My coverage will end soon, so I hope to reprocess as much as possible, at least enough to get back to being confident in my own decisions and accepting of my situation. It is a struggle and I find there is little knowledge in general of trauma related stuff, even PTSD which has been newsworthy for years now. As to a forum group, it was just a thought. I may see if I can find support for a Canada-centric group on Facebook (ugh!)

Comment

I have talked to several people that have found EMDR helpful. I tried it, but decided it wasn't for me. Good luck with your group search.

AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Paul57. I have a friend whose job is counseling people who have experienced various types of trauma. She believes there are a couple of online peer support groups in Canada. She's going to find out more about them and get back to me.
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for jumping in Uni.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

uni and AJ too. Thanks, any support is greatly appreciated, especially right now. My health coverage (which I may or may not have) will soon disappear. I am hoping the company comes through and I can get in enough sessions of EMDR, too, at least enough to get the abusive relationship stuff off my plate. What a strange world it’s become...

Comment

I hope your coverage comes through for you.

It is a strange world.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Paul57 strange world indeed For your information, I heard back from my friend who made an inquiry and has been waiting to hear back. She says the groups she knows of may be only for people who are first responders etc. I'll get in touch with her again and see if anything has come to light. Seems to me there must be something out there
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

uni @AJ Thanks, hope there’s something out there...sad times in NL...no mental health care here...only bach’s In psych, don’t know no therapy, don’t know nothing! Got a private therapist, tried to up sell me on more treatments than I got $ for.,.no compassion anymore...might b back, don’t know. Take care

Comment

Paul57 the situation where you live sounds pretty inadequate, to say the least. I hope you can find something somehow that will give you the support you need. Unfortunately I know nothing of the NL health care system. I did contact my friend again regarding online PTSD support and she's waiting to hear back from whoever is supposed to look into it. Things always seem to take longer than you want them to. Meanwhile I do hope you'll check back onto the forum because although it's not exactly what you're after, it's at least a place to connect with people who also have mental health issues. We really do need each other!
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X