The power of music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The power of music

Does anyone else find that listening to music can have a big effect on your mood?

I've become a big fan of music during the pandemic, and am listening to a wider variety. It's quite remarkable! Certain morose type songs can be a downer, and some particular spunky ones never fail to make me want to dance. Other tunes are great to relax or even fall asleep to. Some make we want to sing along. I also like having mindless background music on sometimes when I'm doing other things.

I take CDs out of the library or stream songs through the internet. Currently I've got Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Kris Isaak, and a collection of Juno winners on hand.

Right now, while at my computer, I'm listening to a blues program on the radio that's playing an old version of "Twistin' the Night Away". I just noticed I've been unconsciously tapping my toes! I'd love to hear what other people enjoy listening to - or detest listening to!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hi Uni. I listened to music in the car while travelling back and forth to work. I stopped suddenly and without any understanding of why things changed. Every kind of song just seemed to be sad after I buried a family member. That was years ago. Last year I got a free subscription to Apple music for a year. I ended up with a lot of music on my phone. I listen to it while on the road. As long as there's nobody screaming, I'm ok with just about any kind of music.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Uni,

Thanks for bringing up this topic! Yes, absolutely! Listening to music is a big part of my life and I listen to different types depending on what mood I am in, or even what mood I want to try to get into. I sometimes look up playlists like 'upbeat pop' or 'motivation' or even 'hope' if I want to try to get myself into those more positive mindsets. If I feel overstimulated I will sometimes listen to classical music or other calming music to help calm my mind and body down.

I run, and I love having intense but motivating type songs on while I run.

When I am watching movies or tv shows, if they have good music, I will shazam the songs and add them to my playlists, or even look up the soundtrack and grab all of them!

I tend to listen to more upbeat songs, but I did find it helpful for a period of time to sometimes listen to music that was a bit more angry (I called them therapy drives - I would go for a drive just to get away and listen to music) and singing to those I think helped me vent some legitimate anger I had that I didn't really have other ways of expressing.

Great topic! I am interested to hear about the role music plays in the lives of others!
      "The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love, and to be greater than our suffering." ~ Ben Okri ~

Comment

The power of music ..
        Undoubtedly .. I believe in it .. and if I want to talk about it then I need to write a book not a comment ..
        I can mention one example : my younger son .. he was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder when he was two years old .. he didn't speak a word but he liked nursery rhymes and hummed them almost perfectly .. He had a good musical ear .. and it was a good help to make him start talking eventually .. I personally spent hours and hours everyday singing nursery rhymes to him because he enjoyed listening to me and humming after me .. I learned more than 100 nursery rhymes to make him happy ..
        He's 16 now and if you meet him you won't see anything ( autistic ) about him .. he's simply a story of success in behavioral development therapy ..
        Last edited by Jafar the wizard; March 27, 2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Jafar that is such a heart warming story Thank you for sharing.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It's my pleasure to share it ..
            THanks to you for your nice comment ..

Comment

Working...
            X