Mental Health First Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental Health First Aid

Has anyone here taken training sessions on something called Mental Health First Aid? The idea is to learn techniques for when someone near you has mental health issues that flare up suddenly. I have a chance to take this little 2-day course on it, and wouldn't mind hearing the experiences of others who've taken something similar. Any thoughts are appreciated!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I’m curious. Who runs the program?
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It's the Saskatchewan region of the Canadian Mental Health Association. Before the pandemic they did some in-person sessions, then went to virtual, and now will be running some more in-person.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks for posting that.
        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I heard from a couple of local people that the person currently running the course does a good job, so I signed up and will be taking it next week. It won't cost me anything, and they even supply a hot lunch. I have nothing to lose but 14 hours, and I didn't want to clean house and declutter on those days anyway Honestly, maybe I can make use of mental health first aid on myself if nobody else! Will report back on how it goes.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Well I've finished the Mental Health First Aid course, and it was a good experience. It's sort of like physical first aid, in that it would a good idea for anybody to learn.

A few of the main points were: ensure your own safety, call for help if needed, listen without judgment, give reassurance and encouragement, suggest options. Of course, there's more to it but that's the gist. They also gave some background on various mental illnesses and treatments, as well as the stigma around them.

Although the word "respect" wasn't mentioned, that was my main takeaway: no matter who it may be that's in trouble or crisis, they are a human being, and to respect that fact in dealing with, well, anybody really.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the update and your take away from the course.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
              X