Trauma and C-PTSD triggered by recent life event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trauma and C-PTSD triggered by recent life event

I deleted my original long post, but I would be interested in hearing from anyone with C-PTSD and how they cope when they are triggered.
    Last edited by Hazelcat; May 1, 2024, 08:18 PM.

Hello Hazelcat. I know PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but what is the C for?
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
      Hello Hazelcat. I know PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but what is the C for?
      Found the following definition: "Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (complex PTSD, sometimes abbreviated to c-PTSD or CPTSD) is a condition where you experience some symptoms of PTSD along with some additional symptoms, such as: difficulty controlling your emotions. feeling very angry or distrustful towards the world.​"

To my understanding, C-PTSD is more common with situations like prolonged childhood abuse, whereas PTSD may be more common from a single traumatic incident.

Last edited by Hazelcat; May 5, 2024, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that information, Hazelcat. I haven't been diagnosed with any sort of PTSD but understand it can really get in the way of life.

I have one friend in their 60's who has benefited greatly from getting therapy for it. I can see and hear the difference it has made. So there's hope even when PTSD has been with you since childhood.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
          Thanks for that information, Hazelcat. I haven't been diagnosed with any sort of PTSD but understand it can really get in the way of life.

I have one friend in their 60's who has benefited greatly from getting therapy for it. I can see and hear the difference it has made. So there's hope even when PTSD has been with you since childhood.
          Thanks. Yes, I'm in therapy, and also doing DBT which is helping.

Comment

Working...
          X