Depression drug doubles in price for P.E.I. man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression drug doubles in price for P.E.I. man

CBC News had an interesting story this week on there web site and I think its well worth the read, especially as a cautionary tale if you want. It is about a Mr Clark from PEI who's medication cost goes from $45 to 105. You can read the hole story here

We are so dependant on these little bits and peaces that we stuff down our gullet yet we are still so vulnerable.

I know myself I have two medications now that I take that come from Apotex; Methoprazine and Divalproex. I think this opens up a bigger question, as a customer, what rights do I have?
    Woody

Hi Woody,

Apotex is one of the companies that make generics... so your meds names would start with APO-xxx right?
    Anne.

Comment

Hello Woody. Unfortunately we have very few rights.Generics are not regulated for price. Next time you see a merger or buyout taking place and the gov't sez that it's needed to ensure growth(or some other bull) remember that Apotex is fast becoming one of the biggest suppliers of generic drugs anywhere. The less the competion, the higher the price.

In Canada, the Patent Medicine Review Board, reviews any new patent drugs that come onto the CDN market for fairness of pricing. After delaying the drug from entering the market for several mths they then allow it in at pretty much whatever the company asked for in the first place. There have been very few exceptions. Take Care. paul m P.S. Anne, you are correct most drugs Apotex makes, start with Apo.
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

That is my understanding Anne.

I know that Paul, but it still infuriates me that a company has that much power over my life and I have so little say.

Woody

Comment

Sorry Woody... I wasn't trying to state the obvious! :s
          I work for a CRO that has done studies for this company among others, and I guess I get a bit ahead of myself.
          Anne.

Comment

Hello Woody. You and I certainly agree, now if we could only get our politicians to do something about large mergers. ( Did I mention the gov't is just let another gas company disappear) Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Anne. In regards to apo. It wasn't all that long ago that I was trying to look something up in the CPS book and could not find anything because I was not looking under apo whatever.

Sometimes its good to state the obvious as many people who do not post view these posts and not all may know what is obvious to us.

On the other hand, my wife always thinks that it's obvious that I should know when to keep my opinion to myself. But why should I learn a new skill at my age . Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Well Paul the next time someone wants to merge they very well better think twice about it. After all I would say that the term 'to big to fail' has successfully been debunked in the last couple of months.

Anne there are so many abbreviations today it is so hard to keep up and there could be so many possibilities. Its the big fad...Personally I prefer the KISS to KIS but some people are offended by it ~shrugs~.

CRO?

Woody

Comment

Hello Woody, while I agree with you, on March 23 2009, Petro Cda announced that it was merging with and becoming part of Suncor(Sunoco). They are in the process of trying to get approval now. These two companies have approx 35 billion in revenue and 11,000 employees between them . Want to bet the price of gas goes up a little to pay for it and that quite a few employees lose their jobs. Not to mention the less competion available the even higher the gas price.

CRO? Take Care .paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

CRO = Contract Research Organisation.
                    One of the companies that does the preclinical studies for the major pharmaceutical companies (who seem to keep on merging... I sometimes wonder if they'll all end up being one company soon! LOL). Unfortunately it's a dog-eat-dog world!
                    My son had the funniest way of explaining company mergers... specially when I had to explain to him (when he was 7) how many different companies I worked for without even changing my chair and desk!
                    Anne.

Comment

Hello Everyone. Ontario has just annouced that they are laying charges and fining 7 generic drug companies and 4 drug wholesalers and are looking at charging a number of pharmacies. The charges are in regards to what amounts to a price fixing scam and illegal kick backs.

I am astounded about this, not that the drug companies are involved in something illegal but that the gov't is doing something about it . Apotex is not one of the ones charged. The story was in the Toronto Star. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

I was working for a similar outfit before went on leave of absence. In the year and some that I had been there, they had changed names (owners) 3 times and they were talking about a 4th in the near future.

I have not read that one yet Paul, I have fallen behind on my news in the last couple of days.

Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. In regards to the drug companies. The Toronto Star has several articles on them. The last one can be found at www.thestar.com/article/625381 . They story has changed slightly in this last report but is essentially the same.

What I was amazed at was the speed with which the story has disappeared altogether from the papers. Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you for the link Paul. I use to read the Star but switch and for the likes of me I cannot remember why. Sound like there investigation is only starting and they have a long way to go still.
                            Woody

Comment

Fairer generic drug prices are something that we need in Ontario.

The Ontario government is saving money on generic drugs. Take a look here to find out how. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlky-I4_3wM
                              Last edited by mclarty55; July 21, 2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X