Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appointment rant....

Hi everyone.

I'm overdue for a annual check up with my doctor. I've got several issues that I need to talk to her about. I phoned in July to make an appointment. They told me to phone back in a month as there was nothing availble at the moment. I phoned back in a month. The schedual hadn't been made yet. I got busy. Maybe a little depressed. I didn't phone back until yesterday. This is the answer I got.

Me: I'd like to make an appointment to see Dr. X.

Receptionist: (as she looks on her computer) its always a long wait... let me see... we are completely booked until... April. (pause) Also, the schedual for April is not made yet, so phone back in a month.

I think I told myself everyday since I'd called back in August that I needed to phone the doctor. For whatever reason yesterday I made that call. And for what? People say health care is terrible 'cause they don't have a family doc. Seems pretty bad even when you do.

Anyone have suggestions for non emergency but still important doctor visits?

Thanks for indulging me and my rant,
    Kaight

I don't have any suggestions for you but I'm having the same problem. My physicals end up being once every year and a half apart. I ask to be put on the 'list' way in advance of being due and I still have to wait a very long time.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Wow, that's terrible. I can't believe the whole: "call back in a month" thing. That could literally be an endless cycle of calling every
      month.
      When I'm at school I never seem to have a problem seeing a GP because the school hires their own GPs to look after the students.
      Boy am I lucky.

The best I can suggest is to keep looking out for any new GPs that may be taking on patients and switch over. This is likely
      impossible to do but who knows...?

good luck!
      astronaut

Comment

Hello Kaight. All I can offer is my sympathy and I agree with you that it sucks. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Thank-you for your replies everyone!

Astronaut - med services at school were great. I've even half-heartedly considered going back to school to get access to a doc! (maybe not the best reson to go back to school!)

Kaight

Comment

Can you have your name put on a cancellation list?
            Rebecca

Comment

I asked about a cancellation list. The receptionist said that there wasn't a functioning list because people don't usually cancel, they just don't show up. Maybe I should have argued more...

Comment

Update:

I finally went and saw another doctor as there was a certain issue I felt I shouldn't wait about for. Now, however, I'm off for tests. And... in true Kaight fashion, I'm nervous. Most days I try to be healthy. I eat well. Exercise. Avoid toxins. Etc. But, as soon as there is something suspicious about my health, the doctor sends me off to the radiation lab.

The irony that finding out if there is even something wrong with a person could in time make them sick is something I have not yet come to terms with. And then, if there is medication or other treatment to follow… more possible body sabotagers. Time for the old risks/benefits query.

I wish I could blindly trust my doctors… it would be so comforting. However, there is always a little voice inside my head questioning everything. Always questions I have no answers too. My only comfort is that I do believe that my doctors have the best intentions. That they are doing the best they can with the info they have. Now for a little prayer tat their info is good.

Kaight

Comment

let us know how everything goes Kaight!
                  Anne.

Comment

Hello Kaight. I gotta agree that sometimes a doc can do damage. I've had more than one or two bits of bad advice. However the alternative of relying on my own knowledge is somewhat less than reassuring.

All you can do is trust the doc and try and do a bit of research on the subject to double check them where possible(and I know that isn't always possible). Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                    "Alone we can do so little;
                    Together we can do so much"
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                    X