Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes you gotta shake things up!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you gotta shake things up!!!!!

Went to see pdoc today and it went well. Took along my trusty side kick, my son Richard, but handled most the conversation myself. I am bipolar, and not to say I haven't been seriously depressed in the summer, cause I have, but usually February does me in as an episode of major depression. I had asked dear doc for some Wellbutrin in Jan, because I could feel the depression coming on, but he only gave me the smallest possible dose and took me off after 3 weeks. I ended up in a very bad place, distress team, blah, blah. I asked to be transferred to a new doc, but he said I should wait a few months, which I accepted. Makes sense.

The thing of it is, is that he is really anti anti-depressants for anyone with bipolar. I confronted him about it and he said he had lots of patients on them, but about a minute later, he said he "hated" putting people on anti-ds. Turns out that he has had some bad experiences. I get the sense that he believes being depressed is safer than the havoc a manic episode can wreak. I pointed out that I have only a history of being hypomanic, not manic, and I am on 2 mood stabilizers that are supposed to protect against a manic episode. Upshot, I got a theraputic dose of Wellbutrin. (Also, Wellbutrin has the rep of being less likely to cause mania)

Kind of a long story, but just want to let people know to be informed and get involved with your care. Think CNN calls it the "empowered patient".

PS My son and I had a celebratory cigar in the car in the parking lot. Haven't even taken my first dose yet, and I feel better!!!!![

Hello Leila63. Good for you standing up to your doc. You make some pretty good points about how everyone is different and how we are entitled to have a say in our treatment.

This is getting pretty close to the time of year when I start taking Wellbutrin myself. I normally end up taking it every spring for 6-8 weeks. Any longer and it will start to flip me into hypomania.

Wellbutrin does have a good rep for being easier for people with bipolar to take, but not for me and I too take two mood stabilzers. That is why I limit taking it to 6-8 wks. However everyone is different and my son who also has bipolar, takes wellbutrin year round with no problems. Thanks for sharing. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
    X