Question about lithium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lithium...

So, a few days into the increase to 600mg of lithium, still taking 450mg of wellbutrin. I did have some twitching when I started the wellbutrin, talked to the doctor and she decided if it wasn't too bad or bother me too much, keep taking it. Because I had side effects from everything else, I decided a few twitches was worth it if it might help the depression. Now I have alot more twitches, jerks in my arms, legs and hands as well as a tremor in my hands. Last night I even woke up because my leg and arm were jerking. Also, when I try to drink from a cup, sometimes a bottle, the muscles around my mouth shake quite badly. It is very noticeable, my husband can see it when I'm trying to drink. I do drink more water everyday.
    I'm wondering if this goes away as your body gets used to lithium? I've also been reading up on TD and it seems that the weird movements around the mouth have to be spontaneous?
    It's very hard to see or speak with my pdoc in between appointments so if this is just something I have to ride out, I won't bother trying to get through the dragons at the front desk.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I was on 1250mg down to 750mg now. I have had all of the side effects you mentionned but most of them are gone except for some occasional jerkiness and the muscles shaking quite badly when I drink. I noticed that when I drink more the side effects diminish. I have learned to accept the side effects if they mean that I am going to feel better emotionally. Good luck and feel free to ask more about lithium.
    Bibiane

Comment

Hello Imsosad. Lithium won't cause TD, but it will give you tremours, jerks etc for a while. When I first started taking lithium, my wife and I went out for dinner with my mother-in-law. It was embarrsing because I couldn't keep soup on the spoon nor peas on my fork and I spilled coffee all over the place.

However I don't have that problem anymore more. I still have a tremour in my hands, but it's not that serious. I wouldn't want to try and do any fine art work, but other than that I'm fine.

In regards to water, lithium will always make you thirsty. I'm never without a water bottle around. I also know where every public washroom is LOL. (what goes in, must come out)

You may also notice some upset in your stomach, I cured that by dividing my doses up and taking them with meals and never on an empty stomach. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
      X