Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saphris??

Hi all,

I am helping someone find some information about the drug Saphris. It is an atypical anti-psychotic used to treat bipolar. Does anyone have any experience with it? This is the general information that I found just browsing about:

I sounds like many other anti-psychotic medications in terms of the side effect profile and what it is supposed to treat. I read some User Reviews from people who tried taking it for their Bipolar and PTSD. The reviews, like for many drugs, are mixed but I was actually surprised at how many "good" reviews there were. I usually find that most User Reviews are bad because people only bother to post information when they are disappointed or angry about a drug and are warning others not to take it.
    -Many people said that Saphris worked very quickly for them, unlike some other anti-psychotics which can take weeks to start working.
    -Apparently Saphris tastes really bad! (but it is worth it if it works!)
    -A lot of people said that they take it before bed and it really helps them to sleep. It makes some people more sleepy during the day.
    -Some people found it really made them feel very good again and seem pretty amazed by the results. It seems to have helped people with suicidal thoughts, and with calming down bad or disturbing thoughts.
    -Some people found that it made their tongue numb or tingly for a half hour or so after taking it, but most people said that side effect was worth it for the benefits they experienced.

-there may be some evidence that it is most effective in treating mixed episodes or manic-type symptoms, although many User Reviews that I read said that it helped significantly with depression too.

-I think it is a pretty expensive drug, so you might want to ask the doctor if they can tell you how much it costs and to check and see if your health benefits will cover it. Some insurance will not cover new drugs that have just come out on the market. You can also ask if they have free samples. Some doctors are able to provide free samples for an extended period of time.

My overall impression is that, like any other drug, Saphris affects different people in different ways. Some people experience more side effects than others. Some people benefitted and some people could not tolerate it. I think what sounded promising about this drug is that it is supposed to start working fairly quickly, so at least you can tell if it is working quickly or not, and if it is not working, then you don't have to waste too much time taking an ineffective drug.

any more input would be great. I just did some cursory research on this drug and have no personal experience with it.

astronaut

Thank you astronaut for starting this post. I have heard the same comments on saphris so far and I think it may be a good thing for me. I started taking it last night so we will see what happens. I will keep you posted. It does have a terrible taste but the numbness of the tongue only lasted a couple of minutes.
    Bibiane

Comment

Working...
    X