doctors get incentives from drug reps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doctors get incentives from drug reps

Is it paranoid to think that doctors get paid by drug reps for selling their brand of drugs? Maybe paying isn't the right word. Perhaps they get free vacations etc. Or is it naive to think that they don't get incentives from drug reps?

If doctors do get incentives, how do we know they are really prescribing what is best for us? Why not just prescribe the drug that gives them the best incentive?

things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm...

I know they're not supposed to be "paid" from drug reps, but don't know for sure if they do. at least I hope not, because like you said, we'd never know if they're prescribing what's best for us and not what's in their best interest...
    Anne.

Comment

Drug reps do drop off drug samples for doctors, especially when new drugs are released. They also provide information about their products (the comparison charts can be biased) but there is an opportunity to ask specific questions about their drugs.

Drug companies will sometimes provide meals with a talk about a specific subject which relates to one of their drugs. Example depression presentation and a new anti depressant. The speaker must acknowledge at the beginning of the presentation that he or she is being paid by the drug company to give the talk. (everyone knows that anyway, but they're still supposed to tell you).

Back in the old days the wining & dining extended to sunny beaches, and fancy hotels in some cases. Probably some of that still goes on, but I don't think it's like it used to be.

What effects what drugs Md's prescribe? A lot. What is an appropriate drug for a specific patient, hopefully would be the #1 reason a specific drug is chosen. Sometimes it is trial and error. Sometimes it depends on what they have samples of... cost for the patient is an important consideration. Sometimes it's about what they are familiar with. Sometimes it's about new information about a drug or a mix of all of the above.

As a patient you have the right to ask a doctor why he or she has chosen a specific drug for treatment. After all, you're the one going to be taking it!
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

This is just my two cents worth. Docs like free things as much as the next guy, but most docs simply make too much to be swayed by a free trip. As AJ sez, drug companies are more likely to sponser lectures or conferences.

Plus in Cda there is the problem of tracking the prescriptions as I am free to take my meds to any pharmacy and request generic if I am paying on my own.

Having said that, I am sure that, just like Ford hands out free hockey tickets to exec's and dealers, the drug companies have some form of untraceable freebies such as that.

In Ontario, at least, it is also illegal for a Doctor to own a pharmacy. Also in Ontario, pharmacies do recieve an additional kick back based on sales from generic drug companies. O.K, that was more like a quarters worth . Take Care. paul m

The problem that I see most is there are many new drugs, both patenet and generic, that hit the market every year. The professional product monographs are very long and a G.P. just cannot not take the time to read all the way through each one. So they rely on the drug rep to fill them in on the most important parts and the doc will just then brief through the product info.

The reps also tend to be very enthusiastic and often the doc is in search of a new good med, thus we end up with everybody getting effexor for a while and then when cipralex came along thats what a lot of newly diagnosed depressed people got, not that it's better than effexor, just newer.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Again thanks AJ and Paul.

Comment

Hello Edmbigrl. Thx for the thx and more importantly thx for bringing up the question. It was a good one, that many often wonder about. Plus the forum would be pretty dull if all I did was post about myself Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Edmbigrl. Here is an article I probably would not have read if you had not got my curiousity going, thankyou for that.

The article appeared in this weekends Toronto Star and deals with how Drug Companies bend facts and influence positive articles on their products.

Warning do not read if you are already worried about your meds .(its either laugh or cry)

"Ghost Writing Is Bad For Medicine". https://www.healthzone.ca/health/New...article/679648 Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Paul,

Good link. I had never considered ghostwriting and its effects on medical journals.

Comment

Interesting reading. I'm going to go for laughing.
                  Maybe I'll end up crying.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

it's eerie to think that our health relies on some sugar-coated papers... makes me want to change jobs!
                    Anne.

Comment

Working...
                    X