Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individualized Medicine: Pharmacogenetic Assessment & Clinical Treatment (IMPACT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individualized Medicine: Pharmacogenetic Assessment & Clinical Treatment (IMPACT)

Genetics Reserach Study: Is Finding the Right Medication a Challenge?

In this study, genetic testing is used to determine the specific forms of liver enzymes that you carry, and other genes related to medication action. Enzymes found in your liver are responsible for breaking down most medications.

What does genetic testing tell us?

Genetic testing of your liver enzymes and other genes will give an idea of how quickly you will break down some antidepressant and antipsychotic medications, whether you might need a different dose than most people, and your likelihood of getting some side effects.

The test results may be helpful when your physician is trying to find the best possible dose of a medication for you or choosing your new medication. However, this form of genetic testing is still being evaluated and test results will not be used alone to make decisions about your medical treatment.

• Are you considering starting or switching psychiatric medication?
    • Are you 13 years of age or older?

If so, you may be eligible to participate in the IMPACT study. For more information, please visit www.im-pact.ca.

New Logo.jpg

Hello All. Usually I'm pretty quick to remove unsolicited calls for research volunteers, however in this case it came from CAMH and I have respect for CAMH. So I read through it and to my surprise I found it interesting.

Near the bottom of the webpage is an article that sez READ MORE. The article discusses how we all process medicine differently and how that may affect our bodies. Of course I think it's a great article as I've been saying that for years. Apparently now they have come up with a way of doing that sort of testing in an effiecent way or at least they are working on it.

Give it a read if you get a chance. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Paul. There is no such thing is one-size-fits-all medication, that's for sure. Even if it's aspirin - or for that matter caffeine.

Interesting that approx. 80% of psych meds are prescribed by family doctors (GP's) and not psychiatrists. Anything to help them determine which type of med and dosage to prescribe could certainly help; many of them are flying pretty blind.
      Last edited by uni; August 15, 2013, 09:53 AM. Reason: went to read the article
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I agree Uni. Many of the GPs are flying blind. My GP admitted that she knew very little about psych meds, and had enough sense to send me to a Pdoc. I was lucky enough to get in to see one in a reasonable amount of time.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for your interest in our research study. IMPACT is hosting a Open Forum for the public this month. You can meet with researchers from the IMPACT Study at their IMPACT Study Open Forum on Sept. 26th, at 33 Russell Street, Toronto, Ontario. The IMPACT study uses genetic testing to improve treatment involving certain psychiatric medications. For more information, you can contact Impact or visit the website.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AJ; September 10, 2013, 12:37 AM. Reason: Removed email address and ph# from post itself due to spammers

Comment

Working...
          X