Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Help

Hi --
    I have a question in regard to ODSP. I am currently see a psychologist through insurance, but obliviously this will end. I will be applying to ODSP as my condition does not allow me to work at this time. Does ODSP cover the costs for a psychologist? I was referred to a psychiatrist for med review who said he would take me on after, but he is fresh out of school, reads symptoms to me out of his DSM Bible and asks me if I think this sounds like me. ???? I would rather remain with my current therapist than start a whole new relationship with someone else and I cannot afford to. Any suggestions??

Hello MOE and welcome. As far as I know ODSP does not cover any private practice therapy that is not covered by OHIP. There are a few CBT courses that are taught by a psychologist under the tuteledge of a psychiatrist, but other than that it's pretty rare.

I agree that too many shrinks, new or old, just dispense meds and very little therapy and that is unfortunate. In some areas you may find that some psychologists have a sliding scale( I know when your broke a scale doesn't help). In other areas you may find that some do take on a very few patients gratis.

The best places to look for that info would be your local CMHA office. www.ontario.cmha.ca You may also get some info from the Ontario Psychological Assoc. www.psych.on.ca

In some areas Catholic Family Services provides counselling regardless of religon or ability to pay. While tending to deal with families they do offer some counselling on anxiety, depression etc. www.cfssc.ca

Please feel free to ask more questions or to answer some. Also sometimes it is good just to vent and this is a good place to do that. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Moe and welcome,

Paul has given you some good resources to check out. If there is a hospital in your area, and they have a psych department I would check with them too. Sometimes they will have programs that they do not advertise to the community in general.
      Woody

Comment

Just want to add my welcome Moe.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X