Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Nytol while on Lorazepam?

Is it safe or a no no?

I wouldn't recommend Nytol. It would have an additive sedative effect with Lorazepam. Nytol reduces the amount of time it takes to fall asleep by 20 mins but doesn't keep you asleep.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Ok AJ, thanks. Can you recommend anything? I'm on a 1 mg lorazepam tablet at bedtime but find I wake up with my anxiety issues about five hours later. I'd like to sleep through the night. I may take an additional Lorazepam but don't want to cut my prescription short.

Comment

Hello George. Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine. (benzo's) . As far as benzo's go, lorazepam is fairly short acting, taking two probably wouldn't make you sleep much longer. Clonazepam has a longer life span within your body as does oxazepam. Oxazepam used to be prescribed a lot 20 yrs ago, but not so much anymore. I don't know why, a lot of people have success with it. For more info on all benzo's and a comparison chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines You will notice things like 1/2 life's and time of action varying greatly and overlapping. That's because we each metabolize medications at different rates, however the chart does give some indication of how long a medication may last.

Sometimes small does of seroquel can be effective. The smallest dose of seroquel available is 25 mg, if I use it for sleeping , I cut the pill in half. While seroquel is an antipyschotic in small doses like 25 mg doesn't usually mess with your brain. We I took seroquel to combat my mania problems the dosages were in the 400+mg a day range, so 25 mg usually is pretty easy to take.

Of course I don't have any medical credentials to back this up, but if you went to your pharmacist and asked about the difference between , lorazepam, Clonazepam ,Oxazepam and very low dose seroquel, they should be able to give you advice that you then can take to your doctor. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Looks like Paul has answered your question and said much of what I would have.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Ok so..... I take lorazepam for anxiety. But... It wears off too quickly. I wasn't sleeping and my doc told me that the Lorazepam would be a sedative as well to help me sleep. But... it wears off too soon and I wake up and either toss and turn until morning or take more Lorazepam which cuts me short on my 30 day prescription. What I need is a longer lasting drug that deals with anxiety and helps as a sleeping pill too.
            The lorazepam works well for my anxiety but as I said, it stops working too soon.
            I've been taking prozac for two weeks and hope that when it kicks in I won't need the lorazepam as much.
            Any ideas on a longer lasting benzo? Paul M. I did read you're post and the link to the chart. Thank you for doing that!
            I'm looking for a longer lasting lorazepam I guess??? What would that be ?
            Last edited by George; April 11, 2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

As far as benzodiazepines go, as Paul mentioned there are drugs like oxazepam and the more commonly prescribed clonazepam that are longer lasting. Lorazepam itself does not come in a long acting form and by its chemical nature is short acting.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello George. As you try to find the path to wellness, you will find that doctors have favourite medications to prescribe. One doctor may always prescribe lorazepam, another doc always clonazepam. Oxazepam used to be a favourite of some.

I would ask the doc first about a clonazepam as you are taking it for sleeping and you seem to be having some problems with day time anxiety. However some people find that it leaves them too groggy the next day, so they prefer oxazepam. Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

So now I've got a prescription for Olanzapine. Told the psych I was looking for a longer lasting Lorazepam. He seems like a good person.
                  Last edited by George; April 14, 2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Hello George. Olanzapine is an antipsychotic which in low doses can act as a sleep. The best part about them is they tend to act quickly, be not addictive and if ti doesn't work out for you, you can change them quickly.

The worse part is that for some people they tend to,make you feel groggy the next day. All you can is try it. Just be careful about driving until you get used to them. Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi folks,
                      So the Olanzapine works well. I don't feel that bad the next day.

Comment

Great and thx for sharing. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                        X