Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking and lorazepam???

I smoke. Cigarettes.
    I've just read that this can make lorazepam less potent.
    Is this true. My doctor didn't ask when he gave me my prescription.
    Geo

Hello George. Smoking may affect a lot of meds that you take and it can affect lorazepam too, but not to a great degree. If I remember correctly you also had a prescription for olanzapine. That is one medication that is really seriously affected by smoking. Smoking can increase your bodies clearance rate by 40%. That is a huge difference, especially if you cut back or suddenly stop smoking.

Why didn't your doctor ask? Don't know. But for the lorazepam I suspect it was because it would make very little if any difference in the dosage prescribed. Take Care. paul m

P.S. to everyone. Always tell your pharmacists if you take any over the counter medications(OTC's) like, vitamins, pain killers, naturalistic medications like St John's Wart, allergy medications or that you smoke or drink a lot of caffeine. If you drink, discuss that with your pharmacist too. Of course, always make sure your pharmacist knows about any other prescription meds that you may be taking.

Also carefully read the handout that you get when you get before you start taking a new medication.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Ok, thanks Paul.

Comment

Working...
      X