Pets for therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets for therapy

Hello Everybody. Pets often get a brief mention for the theraputic value of walking them etc. But owning a pet can often be a bigger plus.

Pets tend to be non-judgemental( maybe a bit bossy) and accept us as we are. I know that during my darkest days I would sit with my dog and just pet her for hrs. Having to walk her and feed her forced me out of bed many times, owning cats can be just as rewarding( well not for me). My son lives far away from us and when he was really ill (bipolar) we got him a cat and it was excellent therapy. They say that having fish can be relaxing.

Anyways we have 1 dog and 3 cats. We are also fortunate enough to be able to put out several bird feeders and can watch them. What kind of animals do other members have? Do you find they help you? Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Hi Paul

I have 4 cats, The Big Bad Boy, Raven, Kitten, and Nic. My dog passed away a few years ago and unfortunately I can't have a dog where I live now.

My pets have been very important to me. Being BP II, I spent a lot of time depressed until I was correctly diagnosed. When I was depressed the people in my life changed radically. They were angry, nagging, intrusive, bossy etc, etc and that is just the last thing you need when you are struggling to just get by. My pets were just wonderful for me because they didn't change their behavior and there was something so wonderful that a simple pet generates a purr and an expression of happiness. A pet can be reassuring and their happiness can be a promise for the future.

Thanks Paul for bringing this up. There will be a little extra kibbles in the catfood bowls tonight!

Comment

Hello Leila63. You must have went to the same cat naming school as my wife, Sassy, Cali, and Lilly, whereas I named my dog Molly, to show a total lack of imagination on my part .

While I am not a big cat fan, I sure do agree with you that a sudden purr is sometimes very welcome and I will confess to have spent more than a few hours over the years throwing things on a string for them to chase. Take Care. paul m
      Helen Keller

Comment

My dog Trixie is my very best friend. She is a family member. Rain or snow, warm or cold, she gets my a** out the door for a walk. If I cry she is there to lick the tears away. If I'm clumpsy and wack my elbow, or fall down, she is there to make it all right. She is a firm believer that a lick will cure almost anything. If that is not enough, she will just lay down beside me. If I'm having trouble getting up off a chair, or the floor, or up the stairs, she will stand beside me so that I can lean on her. She doesn't care about what I look like, or what I wear. She doesn't mind if I'm quiet or talk alot. If I'm restless she will follow me from room to room. My dog Trixie is my very best friend. Trixie3 (Small).JPG
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Paul, that Trixie is a real beauty! She looks like a very sensitive dog too.

Comment

You must have seen them at the cash registers, those cheep laser pointers

Laser Pointer + Cat

Good looking Dog AJ!
            Woody

Comment

I think she's beautiful too.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. Good looking dog. Sounds like a real good friend as well. I'm sure that Trixie appreciates you as well. Take Care. paul m

Hello Woody. I refuse to respond in case my wife sees my response . Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Walking the cat
                  Woody

Comment

That is alright Paul ...

I also know you are on dail up so she will not be able to see the youtube either
                    Woody

Comment

AJ, it sounds like Trixie really does know how to be a great friend, and is nice looking too. It's can be hard to find those qualities in a human!

Woody, do you have a tormenter gene?! But I have no room to talk, because I too have laughed myself silly at the laser cat-dance! And how about catnip - it must be seen to be believed!

Paul, I definitely do believe that pets are good for a person's mood. I can't have them where I live, and sometimes miss them, but on the up side there's no pet food to buy and I am free to travel. I guess you can't have everything.

Now I'll ask you to forgive me while I take a walk down memory lane. While growing up we always had pets. My mom was full of energy and liked creatures of all kinds, while my dad was unhurried and very quiet. (I do suspect mom would get manic - often - and dad would get depressed - often. But no diagnoses were ever made back then. But I digress.) I'm going to indulge myself, and bore whoever reads this, by remembering the pets who have graced my life:

Dogs: Buzz, Pepper, Columbo, Abby, Pippi, Toby
                      Cats: Trixie (like your dog AJ), Cindy, Specks, Professor, Princess, Laertes,
                      Ophelia, Herman (the catnip one), Romeo, Juliet, Radar
                      Birds: Weatherfield the finch, Turd the budgie
                      Fish: Grandpa the REALLY big goldfish, and dozens of other little fishies
                      Rabbits: no names - too numerous. And that might be it.

My sister phoned while I was writing here, and said "Do you really think those people want to read about that stuff?" I said probably not, but I'm posting it anyway. I was watching the Remembrance Day ceremonies from Ottawa on TV earlier and, although feeling grateful, also felt sad. I feel better now, so thanks Paul for bringing up the cheery subject of pets.
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. That's a lot of pets. I've had 5 dogs over my lifetime and since we've been mrd we've had another 6 cats and found new homes for another 15 or so strays. My wife knows all their names, but I do not.

My mother suffered from depression and she used religion as her primary therapy, but she did instill a love of animals in me as she always wanted pets around as well.

Actually our dog makes our marriage work a bit better as well. She hates to see us mad and cuddles etc to try and make us feel better. When one is cuddling a dog it is harder to stay mad.

Catnip is interesting, it grows wild and I am not above going out and picking some for the cats. It insures that they get exercised. I just hide the dog first .

I wasn't bored with what you wrote Uni and please tell your sister, that yeah I do wanna read this stuff. I even tell my wife some of it. She doesn't appear bored either. ( she likes a lot of your pet's name's) Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

I do not know about that Uni... anytime in the past, and I am sure I am not the only one that has done this, your at the pet food place and by the cash they have the latest trinket that promises to entertain you cat for hours and hours. You get home, the cat plays with it for 5 min and walks away

Now ... laser dot!
                          Woody

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and all your posts have been very helpful. Thank you so very much.

I was diagnosed with BPD about 10 years ago. I find that my cat has been such a friend and gift. At my lowest times, she has been there, cuddling into me...makes me feel loved even though I found it difficult to see any good in myself. It also feels good to know I'm needed.

Respecfully, Hope

Comment

Welcome to the forums Hope. I'm glad you've found reading the posts helpful. I'm also glad you have your cat.

Feel free to post any time about anything.
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X