lamotragine/lamactyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lamotragine/lamactyl

Has anyone else had skin issues with lamotragine/lamactyl? Not the stevens j syndrome, just weird side effects. blood blisters, more wrinkles...?\\just wondering.

Hi bluebandaid

I often look at a site in the USA that has around 4,000 members. I have seen posts about unexplained bruises but I guess you'd have to check with your Pdoc to see if it is something to be concerned about.

Comment

Have your doctor do a CBC (Complete blood count-blood test).
      They can check all kinds of things with this test. Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) among other things.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

When I was on Lamotrigine my skin got very sensitive and I would have blotches and little rashes that would come and go. My doctor had me try all these kinds of different soap and they did not help. I have sensitive skin to start off with, so that probably did not help. Other side effect that bugged me was fussy vision. In the end, there was no improvement so we moved on to something else.
        Woody

Comment

Hello BBA. AJ's suggestion is a good one. I have had a variety of minor skin problems over the years since starting pysch drugs. A dermatologist told me that it is common to end up with skin problems as the meds can alter our blood chemistry making us more vernable to problems. The Doc said at the first sign of persistant or large skin problems I should head to my G.P. as they can become a real problem in a hurry. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Having been on lamotrigine for over three years, I haven't had much in the way of skin problems, or perhaps just don't notice because like Woody my skin is sensitive anyhow.

More wrinkles, well in my case I think it has something to do with middle age
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. You mentioned wrinkles. The only positive thing about pysch meds and weight gain is that the extra fat smooths ones face out( and other areas). Not that I looking younger, just smoother. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

You may be onto a new off-label use for psych meds, Paul. We'd better go buy some stocks in pharmaceutical companies, eh?
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hmmm I've been at the Pdoc's target dose for Lamactill for 6 weeks, and I'm not sure, but I think I might be feeling good. I still feel quite tired but I'm hoping that will even out. I seem to be taking more pleasure in the little things.

Sure is strange how I have to get used to the new me every time I change meds; it's a bit unnerving. I guess sometime in the future you'll be able to customize your personality. Might be fun to be an extravert for a while.

Just thought I'd share my good (I think it's good) news. Oh great! Does that mean that on these meds I'm now terminally indecisive?

Comment

Hello Leila63. That's good news( I think ) All I have to do is stop my meds and I am almost instantly extraverted .

Seriously that is good news and I hope that it continues to work for you. Take Care. paul m

Hello Uni, I would agree with you, but after buying all of my meds plus extra groceries, I have no money left for stock purchases . Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

I forgot to mention that she made me try different body lotions

Now maybe for most girls this is not a problem, but when you are 'hairy' that don't work so good !

Woody

Comment

at Woody.

Leila, I'm glad to hear you think you might be feeling good, if indecisive. Taking pleasure in the little things is so encouraging. After six weeks on the target dose it must be about time. How have you been so patient?
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Uni,

You don't know the half of it. My Pdoc is very anal about the skin rash syndrome so I had to titrate up on Lamactil in 12.5 mg increments versus what I've heard from others is 25 mg.

As far as beng patient - after a certain point, I felt I was committed and there was no going back. It's like you are trying to find an address, and you've looking for a while, and you just say "Well, I'm here now. I might as well keep looking." That's how I feel about Lamactil. Hope it's the silver bullet but just have to wait and see

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Comment

My doctor had me splitting those already small pill in two also.

What a PITA!

I wonder, do the drug companies save that much more money if they make the pills that itsybitsy
                            Woody

Comment

Good grief. Am still learning computer language and it dawns on me that "pita" may not refer to something you eat. l

Leila, I hope things continue to look up for you. With lamotrigine, maybe it's better to be safe than sorry on account of the whole rash thing.
                              Last edited by uni; November 27, 2009, 02:43 AM.
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X